close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Some Backup From My Fellow Icemen

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by papaperch, Dec 10, 2004.

1. :eek: My lifelong friend pulled in the driveway whilst I was prepping for this ice season. I showed him by hardwater " bassboat " along with all the tackle i will be hauling this season. He opined that if this seasons bite is rather slow. i could pass for a portable bait shop. I believed he used the term sled jobber. he borrowed the term from when we both ran a bait shop. a wagon jobber sold his tackle out of a station wagon. course he pointed out their stock was not quite as diversified and as deep as mine. we have been friends for 45 years. he uses the most rudimentary equipment ( hunting , fishing , you name it. ) and does as well or better than 90 % of the other sportsmen. :eek: crits he stills uses the mitchell 300. his ice fishing equipment is ancient stuff that the normal guy gave up on 20 years ago. anyway back me up with some replies here that explains why true richness is how varied your ice jigs are and so forth.

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

If he doesn better with thold stuff, then more power to him! I TRY, key word is try, to use the KISS method. no need for a aqua veiw if you know where the fish are gonna be and when they bite! =-D

3. Way to back up the guy!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

oh, i was suposed to back the guy up....Geez sorry. hmm, lemme see......I do think having a spinning reel combo is a must now...and BTW, i keep it simple only because to have all the fun stuff, it takes money!

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

papa, its hard to argue with results:

"and does as well or better than 90 % of the other sportsmen."

just tell him that youre not only a fisherman but a "lure collector"!

sometimes i feel like a collector of lures more than a fisherman.

6. Hey guys I was hoping we could have some fun with this thread. I know I am not the only ice fishing vet that falls prey to the latest , greatest gizmo. My friend that I was refering to have an ongoing 45 year friendship that is spiced with competition. He prefers " gut instinct " I prefer high tech. We both do well but man do we love teasing the other. He has watched me catch fish on days that you had to have a vex. ( He will not buy one ). Other days I have watched him catch and I offered to hold his coat as I had nothing else to do. Then we have had days where both of us are busy. Neither would bet against the other in any kind of fishing competition. The main reason we have been friends is we have F-U-N when we do go.

7. It's tough not to fall for the new stuff man! I try, but always seem to pick up something I never use, hardwater or soft. Best thing I've picked up for ice fishing, by far, is that Vexilar. Try fishing with it for a few weeks, then leave it at home! You'll feel lost, I can assure you!

8. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

i never seen a vex work til out on the ice with erie addict last year. after that i decided i wanted one so i got one. i fell in love with it and told my dad to get one, well i let him use it and just stood there waiting for him to be done. he was fishing with a bobber so i told him if ya aint gonna listen to me ( take the bobber off) gimme my vex back. i would give up my boots on the ice before ill give up my vex.... just got back from cabelas with the intention to buy a st croix legend elite ice rod, checked it out and didnt think it was too great so i got another avid. i think im fallin again and thats for a clam, i can almost bet i wont finish this ice season without one...

sowbelly