Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: i am a fisherman who cant stand the slow, boring and patieince involved with fishing soft plastics. but that seems to be all anybody is catching bass on right now. anyone have any advice for me? sometimes i feel like throwing the pole in the water because i am used to burning cranks or spinnerbaits. help me!!!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Well, I'd love to help you but I hate fishing spinners and cranks. I love to hit the wood with tubes and worms. I especially like fishing docks. Your spinner baits should turn on soon as the water temps come up. Good luck!!

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
dont know how you can hate fishing plastics, just dont get it lol.
go out and get some ZOOM 6inch SS+U tailed worms, in watermelon green or watermelon red flake. those are the best (pond fishing). cast it out, let it sink and then twitch it, twitch it, twitch it, stop, cantinue or raise the pole up and let it fall, you will feel a knock knock back or a suddle tap, watch your line see if it moves. rig this texas with a 1/32nd bullet sinker THE BEST. thsi is my fav way to fish.
if ya dont like the colors than get some you like. also tell us what your fishing as in type of water. Lake Pond so one, and water depth an clarity. you will get mor in depth info. once you get the tech down you will love, give it some time. you will be a much better bass fisher b/c of it. this catches Size and numbers.
Have fun and good luck.

·
Tuscarawas River Angler
2,375 Posts
if i had to choose one soft plastic bait, id buy a pack of 3 1/2 inch (white or mustard colored) strike king tube baits and texas rig it on a 3/0 extra wide gap Gamakatsu Hook with a 1/8 ounce bullet weight !!! work it with short pulls and hops of the bait till you feel that tap-tap of the fish picking it up !!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
ahhhhh tubs i love flippin tubes my best luck is when i use a dark green or somthing that as a bit of orange and use the smallest bullet or evan sometimes just a small splitshot and let it sink to the bottom and twitch it really hard and let it fall back down..

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
plastics dont always have to be slow. Try fishing a soft jerkbait like a zoom fluke or fluke jr. Rig it texas style with a wide gap hook and twitch it back to you with 1 or 2 second pauses inbetween jerks. YOU WILL CATCH FISH doing this. Since you say the water is fairly stained you should use white or black. Pay close attention to how you rig the hook in the nose of the bait, if its off center It will affect the action. you want the bait to move in random directions when you twitch it. not to spin or come up to the surface with every pull. As the water warms you can fish these quickly just under the surface and get vicious strikes.

Different size hooks will change the action so experiment to find how fast the fish want it to sink.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey man,

I have been fishing soft plastics for largemouth & smallmouth for 35 years , I know I am telling my age now but learning how to fish all these different baits and rigs will make you a much better fisherman! At times it certainly does take patience, when you finally get that bass to straighten out your line or give you a tap - tap , cross his eyes and don't be subtle with your hook set, let him have it ! I consider myself a very patient person especially when fishing, have another rod rigged up with a spinnerbait or crank and throw it when that Texas or Carolina rigged worm isn't working? Once you learn to worm & jig fish for bass and start catching alot of fish, you will never leave it . Just last Saturday I got a 17" smallmouth out of Darby creek on a simple 1/8 oz. jig and a 3" yellow twister , patience pays off !! Good luck !

Keep fishin' :T

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hello all...newb to this forum but I can contribute a bit here for sure.

I couldn't agree more that it's important to learn as much as possible about as many tactics as possible. I too enjoy fishing crankbaits, rapalas and topwater plugs but I'm very proficient at fishing soft plastics carolina, texas or weightless style. I prefer to sight fish when using soft plastics as it speeds up the action and adds a some excitement when ur "stalking" a fish...trying to see it b4 it sees you.

Also, heres a great tip for the crankbait/plug fisherman. Keep a spinning rod with a plastic worm or tube rigged weedless with no weight. From time to time you may see a fish following ur crankbait or swirl behind ur topwater plug without eating. What I do in this situation is immediately throw back in that spot with a the soft plastic...probably 9 times out of 10 - - FISH ON!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Some Soft Plastics Tips.....

I think you will find many, but not all Bassin Folks will agree with you that Top Water and Action Baits are more "fun" to fish. However, When it comes down to it...The sun is going to shine bright, The Wind will Stop blowing, and that darn High Pressure System will set up right over top of ya.....

Thats when its time to slow down...at least for me. All the advice in this thread is sound....All I will add is a short discussion on a Carolina Rig. A Carolina rig can teach you more about a body of water then you could have ever imagined.....Where are those rock piles....the brush piles...the stumps...the drop offs or ledges? Hard Bottom,Soft Bottom? If you take your time you can almost map out the area you are fishing....If you are focusing on these things, seeing what you can learn....It becomes a bit less tedious...Not to mention when your rod loads up with a real TOAD on it...lol. Anyway, I prefer to throw a rig with 1/2 to 2 oz weight with 2 beads a swivel and about an 12-18 inch leader. 7' 11'' heavy action rod with at least a 6:1 retrieve speed....For your pond you could go much lighter...On the business end a 3/0 to 4/0 hook inside a 5 to 6 inch green pumpkin lizard. But any plastic bait can be used with success. Anyway, I hope this drivel helps ya out some.....Good Luck

Hawk

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Like I said earlier soft jerkbaits are hard to beat for shallow bass. I fished a shallow area with a spinnerbait yesterday and picked up two. Then went back over it with a soft jerkbait and caught 3 including a 5pound egg filled female, my biggest LM yet this year. Never would have touched that fish with a reaction bait like a spinner or crank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts