close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need reservoir help

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by mastercatman, May 12, 2005.

1. on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 11:26 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, here is my dilema. I am having great difficulty finding large channel cats. I grew up fishing rivers and made the change to reservoir fishing a few years ago. I have had spotty success in landing many large channel cats but I'm lacking consistency. Right now I fish Nimisila reservoir and Leesville lake both of which possess large numbers of big channels. The water temp is from 60-65 lakewide for both lakes. I cannot find these fish in the shallow water and have fished water as deep as 20 ft.to 6 ft deep. I have plenty of fresh and or live big shad, bluegills, crayfish,chubs, and suckers but still no big channels. My questions are: What is too deep? (Leesville has alot of deep structure in 25-35 ft) What is too shallow? I have noticed and often wondered if the channel cats follow the shad to the surface at night and what an appropriate depth to fish a slipfloat in deep water would be at night or in the daytime? I need details and no b/s.When why and how do I fish with the information you give me? Thankyou for any help and Good fishin' to all

2. catking

catking Banned

In the large lakes 6 feet can be to deep at times, especially at night . I do npt know when you fish , but night time is the key to large channels. Drifting over flats in 10-12 feet of water using FRESH cut shad at night is usually very deadly. Again , drifting is the key here along with fresh cut shad. I use NO float at all but a slip rig with a leader of about 14" & a styrofoam float attached about 8" above the bait . This keeps the bait off the bottom , and you can adjust the depth at which the bait rises off the bottom. DEADLY rig. There is a thread about cat rigs in this cattin section....katfish shows a pic of this rig. This is the best rig in large lakes I've ever used.............CATKING

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Iahve learned the hard way that the way one particular catguy fishes, isnt right for me. I think the most important element is LOCATION. If there are no cats nearby, nothing is going to do the job. I think its a godo bet to fish how you are comfortable in doing so & look unitl you find your hot honey hole or sweet spot. Patience and time.

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I've seen bank fishermen on resivoirs make there rigs so they can tie a ballon on and suspend their bait, when a fish pulls your bait the ballon comes free. This allows your bait to drift as far as possible (given how much line you have) and it works great.