close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need recommendation for a good cat fishing pole

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Thommes, Jun 12, 2005.

1. With father's day coming up I want to get the father in law a decent cat fishing pole. Looking for a two piece 8' max rod. I read here that someone recommended the shakespeare mh rod? Any other suggestions? Would like to order online sometime today.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

This has been a pretty topic lately.

Cat Max Rods are nice, But I peronsally perfer the Qunatum Big Cat rods & they are the same price. But other good cat rods: Ugly Stick Cat Rods, Cabelas King Cat & King Cat Pro. A few of us on here have or had the Cabelas & for the $ they are great. Now I wouldnt suggest getting a heavy Big Cat if your going to be doing more Channel Catting as its just ovverkill. I would recomend the Cabelas King Cat or King Cat Pro for channel cattin. Abu is making a "BRUTE" Catrod, I had one, T-MAN has it now, I was real impressed w/ that rod, seemed to be the perfect fit between Channells & Flatheads.

3. Thing is there are channels and flat heads where we fish. Love to start catching some flats, but worry a little about the spinning combo that I have being able to handle it.

4. H2O Mellon

I would recomend the Cabelas King Cat Spinning Rods. OGF Mbr "ME223" has my old one, I think he is impressed. The King Cats are $20 the King Cat Pros are $30

5. Can you get those local anywhere? Would like to have it next weekend if possible.

6. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

Go down to Fishermans Warehouse on Williams in the south end and they can get you hooked up nice on what you need.

7. H2O Mellon

Cabelas orders usually arrive in 3-4 days.

8. I was looking at MapQuest to see where Fisherman's Warehouse was and saw all these lakes/ponds over by Frank Rd. Anyone know what they are?

9. I made it down to Fisherman's Warehouse. Nice little store. Didnt carry any Cabelas as I guess that's only mail order and Cabelas stores. I picked up a couple American Spirit 8's. Haven't heard of American Spirit before but the guy said they were pretty good. Trying to find info online and I can't even come up with a site that sells them. Hope I wasn't taken? I compared it with an Eagleclaw and it looked a bit better and the guides were braced from the top as well as the bottom. Seems to be a decent pole for $25. That's the low end of what I wanted to pay but hey I can get them some tackle too. It's the first 8' poles we've bought. Is there a different way to cast these things?