close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need motor

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by topwater, May 29, 2007.

1. topwater

topwater

0   0   0

I need a reliable 5.0L Ford 289 or 302 for my I/O. Marinized is ideal, but a car motor would work too. Must be right hand rotation.

2. dKilla

dKilla

0   0   0

Let me know when u find a 5.0L 289...that would be interesting to see.:D

3. topwater

topwater

0   0   0

OK, I'm pretty new to owning a boat and I'm not in to muscle cars, so please clarify. The old marine survey that came with the boat says 302, but both of the techs at CP Yacht Services said it looked more like a 289, which I had never heard of. I questioned them on it, and one said that there are "some things that make him think it's a 289, not a 302, but either would bolt right up, same bolt patterns etc., just make sure you get a 5.0 that's right hand rotation"

So they are wrong? Do 5.0's only come in 302 or what?

4. dKilla

dKilla

0   0   0

5.0 Litres = 302 Cubic Inches
    4.7 Litres = 289 Cubic Inches

I believe both are the same block so the mounts would be the same. The difference in the two would be heads/stroke/bore. You may want to check out a ford musclecar forum or ebay...can probably find a good deal.
    From a reliability/repair/parts standpoint, I think the 5.0 is a better bet.

5. ohiogary

ohiogary

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I believe the 289 was used until like 1967, and after that ford developed the 302, and have used ever since, the 5.0 is just a metric measurement, 5 liter vs 302 cubic inch

6. truck

truck

0   0   0

If u r going to use a car engine most likely u will have to reuse the cam out of your old engine.Ck with your marine mechs:)

7. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Yes, he is correct. That's the main difference internally between an automotive block and a marine block. A marine block will also use brass core plugs, but here in freshwater, that's not a big deal.

If you pull the motor from an auto, the only thing you will re-use is the basic long-block. Everything else you will transfer from the old motor.

Look too at RapidoMarine.com. That's where i bought my long block from.

8. topwater

topwater

0   0   0

I appreciate everybody's help on clarifying what should have been obvious.

I'm thinking I'll sell or trade the whole thing for a small jonboat with a little motor.

I'm sure it would be a fun project, but with a two year old and a three year old, I'd rather spend my free time fishing, not wrenching!

9. nicklesman

nicklesman Dough Boy

0   0   0

what year and condition is the boat how long is it, I have I nice 12 ft semi v with a 5.5 johnson

10. topwater

topwater

0   0   0

It's a 1972 18' Thompson bow rider. deep v fiberglass hull. It's in good shape other than the motor, according to Cedar Point Yacht Services. The outdrive is good, the hydraulic tilt/trim good, steering good. The interior is a little outdated (70's green carpet and seat vinyl) but in decent condition. Overall, its really solid. It's on a trailer with good tires and spare, new tongue jack, lights and wiring.

11. G.LoomisMan

G.LoomisMan BAMF

0   0   0

my brother has a 5.0 out of a 'stang that hes lookin to sell. it has everything ya need to put in a car. around 80,000 miles. $300
    ________
    R4

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  12. topwater

topwater

0   0   0

thanks, I'll pm you if I don't find an already marinized motor

13. APD1088

APD1088

0   0   0

Not only are the freeze plugs different, but many times the oil dipstick tube is different in auto and marine blocks. Internally, the dipstick tube runs to the bottom of the oil pan in marine engines, and stops at the top of the pan in auto applications.