close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Kayak Review

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by WishinIwasFishin, Feb 24, 2008.

1. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

I've been shopping around on the Internet for my first yak. From what I have read and seen, it appears that the Pelican Castaway 11'6" sit on top yak will suit me best for creek and river fishing. Anyone have any experience with this model? It seems that any reviews I have read say that it does the job well and is reasonably priced.
    thanks for any imput.

Good fishin.

2. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

3. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

4. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

WIWF,

You mention that you want to use it for rivers and creeks. Lots of guys on paddle.com and such fish the ocean. Sorry, but I can't relate.

However, Riversmallies has great reviews on kayaks and such from guys who predominantly fish rivers. You should check it out. There is a TON of info on that site!

CG

5. I have the model you mention and have a few thoughts:

This is a decent kayak for fishing purposes. While I would not recommend it for travel or carrying a lot of gear, it works well for me as a fishing platform. The base is wide enough for me to comfortably false cast my fly rod and not overly disturb the water. The rear rod holders work well for spinning gear and the front holder holds the fly rod well. I've never had a problem storing enough gear to manage a day on the water. My primary complaint is the paddle they give you - as you may expect - is too short for my purposes and doesn't shed water well. As is true for all sit-on-tops (SOTs), it will not track as well as a similarly sized Old Town sit in. It may take some getting used to, but I manage comfortably. You won't win any races, but you won't be running into stuff either.

Overall, I'd recommend this as a decent buy if you think the price is right for you. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

For reference, I'm 6'-0" and 196 lbs.

6. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

.....first of all, the best advice is to check out a kayak in person before you buy it. At a mininum get it down and sit in it, or if you are making an expensive purchase, buy from a dealer who will let you test drive, many will. You can bring you gear to the dealer and test out the storage capacity with your stuff, or if you are at dicks or BPS....grab some stuff off the racks and check it out. No use buying something you cant get a feel for. just my opinion. ( I like SOT for fishing, just me...)