close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need ideas

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by katfish, Mar 27, 2005.

1. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

I need ideas for a heavy duty weigh sling.

[​IMG]

I ordered a sling from European carp tackle dealers who guaranteed it to handle big fish. I can only assume they thought I was overstating the size of flathead I planned to weigh. In any case this sling only made it a few months before it went to sling heaven :eek:

I was wondering if the musky slings would work or not. The man who replaced the canvass on the pontoon told me he would make a sling after finishing the enclosure. When I picked up the boat he admitted that making a sling that would balance was more of a problem than he anticipated. I made the mistake of writing him a check for the canvass. He didn't see the need to make me a sling any more :rolleyes:

I am hoping that you guys can give me some ideas to weigh the big fish that I intend to release.

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Rob,
    Talk to Bob (rrbski) and see is maybe he can track ya down a source for the weigh slings they use for Wels catfish over in Europe.....if they can hold 200lb. cats they'll sure cover any flatheads in Ohio for ya...i'll see what i can dig up on my end.
    Just a thought,
    Scott

3. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

And that big one you're going to help me release after pictures too right!? ;)

4. Could be that Misfit was using it as a hammock while you were'nt looking. :D :D :eek: :rolleyes:

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i don't think so.
    but if i wanted to take a nap,i'd have to,cause the cots are always occupied by "other" people :p :p :rolleyes: :D

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Robby

Maybe talk to some of the farmers and see what they do with the cattle and hogs. You are in "no mans land' as far as fishing gear (guessin) and what you are doing. Nice to see the respect you have for the Flats.

<><Baitkiller><>

7. Baitkiller has a good idea. Unfortunately, calf slings are plenty strong enough, but not nearly long enough. They're made to fit between the front and rear legs, so they're only about 20" long, from what I've seen. I considered making one this winter, however my sewing leaves a lot to be desired. I think Scott's on the right track.

8. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Yea
    I just remembered someone got a fancy new digital scale and might be needing a weigh sling himself :D

9. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Just a thought but what about a duck decoy bag, I think they have a shoulder strap built on to them, or you may be able to fasten some ropes to the bag to use as a sling.

10. I did some more looking. I think the decoy bag would be strong enough, but they are DEEP. May have to climb a ladder to hang the scale. :eek: The musky cradle was my first thought, with some modifications, but I just don't think that mesh will hold up. I came across a couple from overseas that look promising, however nothing in the states, so far. I've never ordered anything from over there, so I don't know how big a deal it is.
    http://www.worldseafishing.com/reviews/gameon_predator_sling.shtml

http://www.bivvyman.co.uk/store/erol.html#201x0&&