close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need ideas for installing boat seats

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by UncleBud, May 20, 2004.

1. UncleBud

UncleBud Retired and Happy

I've got a new LOWE boat that has the seats that extend down each side and are filled with foam. Right now I have clamp-on seats, but would like to mount them directly to the seat. There's no way to get up under the seat to mount the swivel part. I was told that there is special bolt mount for alumnium
    that will work. Can anybody tell me what's best for the job. Many Thanks.

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i had those seats in my 94 sea nymph. i cut an access hole in the base. big enough to fit my hand in. dug out the foam and bolted the swivel seat mounts to the aluminum seat. then cover the hole.

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

He nailed it.
    For best results,you should cut an access hole.
    You could always use a jig saw,but a nice 3 or 4" hole saw does a nicer job.
    Dont forget to use strips of wood or large washers underneath to prevent the nuts from pulling through the aluminum.

4. paco

paco

one more thing make sure you offset the back seat . i fixed up my 1st boat and didn't offset the seat and it was a pain to run the tiller . :eek:

5. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I used these for my first two boats- a quik-nut is ( or Nut-sert is the brand name, I think) like a pop rivet that thas a nut on the end. You drill the holes, insert the nuts and use a tool to set them. The head end mushrooms as it sets and forms a washer of sorts. They can be found at better hardware stores or a tool dealer. I have a kit that I got a few years back from Grainger. It is a slick and professional looking way to mount seats.

I used a mount that allowed me to remove the seats. It was a quick attach style of mounting plate- Cabela's and Bass Pro have them. The swivel plate on the seat slides into the mount and then locks on. It was great for taking the seats off when storing the boat so the sun didn't kill them.

With no access underneath, it is a great way of doing it.

UFM82

6. UncleBud

UncleBud Retired and Happy

Thanks, Guys!! I knew I could rely on OGF members to throw some ideas my way. As usual, you've been a big help.