Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys give me some advise, I have no downriggers or planer boards or anything like that, so whats my best chances of hooking up with walley or even a steelie, the only experience I've had on Erie is drifting wally spins with crawlers back in the 80's and we used to get alot of big ones off neff marina, but now with the way the lake has changed I hear trolling is the only way to go but I just don't have that equipment.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
you don;t need it. buy two dipsyes, big one;s , [I like blk ] med stiff rods 8ft two line counters , and some stinger spoons , monkey puke, confusion bkueberrymuffin , and chicken wing , some ball bearing swivels and 30#test power pro . and a a roll of 17teen test line for leaders ,make leaders 5ft long . go gettim buddy.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Drifting and casting with meat and lead has always, and will always catch dem eyes. You can search this site and find many posts on drifting techniques. The primary goal is getting your lure to the depth of the fish - count down and retrieve. First cast and retrieve at a 3 count, then 6 count, then 9 count etc etc til ya find the countdown/depth of the fish. I guestimate a 5/8oz erie dearie to drop 2' per count. I "always" keep at least 1 rod with a bottom bouncer and harness.
I just added trolling to my fishing when their is no drift. I prefer to drift and cast. When ya get a "good" drift and your drift speed is 1.5 or greater, don't be afraid to use a reef runner. Can't tell ya how many I've caught with that method, especially in the fall or when the fish are suspended.
Search past posts. This site has a "lot" of dedicated and very experienced drifters !

GR

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Another way to go, is to use two rods. Cast one out with an Erie Dearie or other weight forward or an in-line weight and a worm harness. Let it free fall. Then cast the other rod and let it free fall. Pick up the first rod and start winding it in. When you get in cast it back out and pick up the 2d rod and start cranking it in.

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
3,478 Posts
Drifting and casting with meat and lead has always, and will always catch dem eyes. You can search this site and find many posts on drifting techniques. The primary goal is getting your lure to the depth of the fish - count down and retrieve. First cast and retrieve at a 3 count, then 6 count, then 9 count etc etc til ya find the countdown/depth of the fish. I guestimate a 5/8oz erie dearie to drop 2' per count. I "always" keep at least 1 rod with a bottom bouncer and harness.
I just added trolling to my fishing when their is no drift. I prefer to drift and cast. When ya get a "good" drift and your drift speed is 1.5 or greater, don't be afraid to use a reef runner. Can't tell ya how many I've caught with that method, especially in the fall or when the fish are suspended.
Search past posts. This site has a "lot" of dedicated and very experienced drifters !

GR
OhYea
I couldn't have said it Better myself !!! I only drift and cast for the eye's ! But I do fish west all the time. I mean from Sandusky bay west ! It is a really art That some have forgot or never really learned how to do ? Drifting and casting Of course !! There has not been one time yet this season where I have not got my limit while out !!
I save my trolling time for the Steelhead next month. And that will be East And North of the Islands.
No Wake would be glad to awnswer any questions ? Send me a PM ??
Good fishing !

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ive caught several limits flat line trolling 3 ounce inline weights with harness with only 2 rods.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Another way to go, is to use two rods. Cast one out with an Erie Dearie or other weight forward or an in-line weight and a worm harness. Let it free fall. Then cast the other rod and let it free fall. Pick up the first rod and start winding it in. When you get in cast it back out and pick up the 2d rod and start cranking it in.
Geez, that barely leaves a hand free or time for a barley pop.

In a good drift, I've been seen casting out a 1/4oz in one hand and a 3/8oz in the other and twitchin both rods til I feel they've reached their lower limit. If no hits, same procedure but switch to 5/8oz and 7/8oz. Since I ain't a young gun, dat don't last long til I hit the seat and relax w/ 1 bb on bottom in a rod holder and cast and count down the other.

Any of you pure trollers willing to give up any pygmy spins, let me know.
I think their action out catches dearies 2 to 1.

GR

·
Registered
448 Posts
The two pole method that Bob Why talked about has worked for me for years. It's a basic, simple way to catch walleyes. However, you will catch alot of other types of fish as well. I don't know about you, but I never really had a problem with that. Good luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I dont get out near as much as most of these guys, nor do I have the trollong equipment that they have. I love drift but my father likes to troll. When we do I troll I use Pencil Leads with worm harnesses and Berkley Gulp Worms (This will keep you from having to check your bait after every missed hit). I dont have line counters on my Penn reels so I count the wraps back and forth to know aprox how much line I have out, I do use an 7.5 foot rod, but my father still likes his 6 footer. I dont think my method is as productive as the Dipseys and spoons but it does work. Also I have no rod holders on my boat so I hold the rod and get to feel every fish that hits which to me is still the best. I agree with "Oh Yeah" on the dedicated and very experienced drifters and as you can read there are many master trollers as well. This site has so many good fisherman that share their information that it should help you catch more fish anyway you go after them. Good Luck

·
sander vitreus slayer
43 Posts
you don;t need it. buy two dipsyes, big one;s , [I like blk ] med stiff rods 8ft two line counters , and some stinger spoons , monkey puke, confusion bkueberrymuffin , and chicken wing , some ball bearing swivels and 30#test power pro . and a a roll of 17teen test line for leaders ,make leaders 5ft long . go gettim buddy.
Don't forget a few good rodholders...a copy of precision trolling along with a sonar device are always helpful, if not necessary, for dialing in presentation depth.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you have a few baitcasters, try flat line trolling. Load them up with 14 lb fireline, & troll hot-n-tots, or similar crank diving lures. No weights or other hardware required. Set them 150' to 200' back. (We usually run 2 dipseys with spoons, & 2 flat lines with hot-n-tots to gether. We catch an equal number of eyes on both, with the flat lines getting the occational big fish.) Try the silver chrome or the gold chrome, both with black tops. It's a cheap method, & it always gets fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts