close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need help with old motor

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by twistertail, May 20, 2004.

1. My grandpa has an old motor that he said i could have. Its a 70's model Sears motor and i think it 6hp. He said that it has never been used. He got it brand new and started it up once to see how it ran but never used it. So its been sitting in his garage for 30 some years. What would be the first thing i would need to do to get it working, or after sitting that long would it be worth it? Thanks for any help.

2. :p Pull the spark plug and squirt a little oil into the cylinder then roll it over to spread the oil and lube things up a little. While your doing that check the plug to see if you have spark. Check the gas tank and drain it if it has old gas in it. Change the fuel filter if it has one. Drain and clean the carberator. Check any other lubrication and change or regrease everything. Put your plug back in put it in the water put some fresh fuel in it and give her a crank.

Good Luck
    Saltwater

3. So just give it a good cleaning and lube, thanks I'll give it a shot. Ive got a 12' v bottom boat to put it on and fish some of the local lakes.

4. I think that will be a big one. It may need rebuilt. If you can find a manual, I would strongly suggest getting one. It will help a lot.

5. ripperace

ripperace Gravely / OMC worshipper

You say it's a Sears? A Gamefisher, Atwater, or something of that sort? If it's a Gamefisher, carb parts are easy to find because it was essentially a Tecuseh lawnmower (2 stroke) they used as the powerhead. If that is what it is, of course.