close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need help with my new boat

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Eliminator, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Hi, I'm not sure if this forum will work but here goes, i just puchased a 1990 20' chaparral has 5.7 v8 ford omc Cobra drive unit, i have not yet begun to go through the boat itself, I'm stuck on the trailer, it has a atwood surge brake it seems fairly simple although the mastercylinder I have off in my hands and the plunger is froze up, and I cant get it to budge, it seems to be stuck down in the activated position. I can't see a snap ring of any type that holds it in, I've been spraying it heating it and bouncing it off a 4x4 block of wood and it just wont budge, I'm wodering if it's even rebuildable? anyone had any experience with them?

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

yes i have(mine is a dico), i took it to the boat shop and got a whole new unit. mine was full of rusty fluid and i figured why mess with rebuilding. easier and made more sense to me to just replace it. i even removed the lines from the brake cylinders and blew out all the old fluid with air. i also ended up replacing the brake hubs and all there too. trailer got to have brakes and i didnt want to keep messing with it, so i replaced everything but the lines. probably should have done that too.

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I have the Atwood unit also. After pricing all of the parts, It was more practical to buy a new unit. My system was in such bad shape that I ended up rebuilding the whole system.

The Atwood actuator was around $150.

[​IMG]