Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a bad problem with ground hogs this year, has caused 2 parts of the driveway to collapes. Also neighbor has them digging under her pool. I has dispatched 2 so far. have tried cage traps, snairs with out much luck. Anyone have any tips or tricks they care to share much appreciated. thanks Rick

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
how did you dipatch of the two already? if thats workin for ya..stick with it. My first suggestion would be a .22 rifle but obviously,if youre in city limits ,thats a no go.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only got the 2 because I seen them out in the yard and was able to get a shot in on them. would rather not have to wait them out though.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Bait 'em. Vegetable and fruit scrapes. I get one in the back yard, keeps digging under the fence. By the time I get the bedroom window open he's gone. He never runs when he's in the neighbor's backyard though. It would be tough explaining why I'm in their yard picking up a dead animal :)

I could just leave it.... Died of natural causes or eating too much fertilized grass :p

·
ST CLAIR SLAYER
10,172 Posts
Run about 8 foot of garden hose into the hole, put a funnel in the end, pour a bottle of little bo peep amonia in, stand back with shotgun, Have a ball !!

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
Dig em out. If you can find the holes and can get to them in the middle of the day just dig them out. Hit them with a shovel when they come out.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I have a serious ground hog problem. They keep digging under my pole barn. I take the traps that snap their necks and put one outside the hole in the pasture and 1 by the hole going under pole barn. If they come from the other way I just shoot them with my 22 or if they're to far for that my 30-06. I've gotten 11 so far this year.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Run about 8 foot of garden hose into the hole, put a funnel in the end, pour a bottle of little bo peep amonia in, stand back with shotgun, Have a ball !!
I like this idea. Very little sweating involved, and nearly guaranteed results. Make sure to plug all but one hole.
A foothold trap at the entrance of the hole works well, but I prefer to use them when there aren't dogs around. They don't hurt the dogs, but I worry about getting bit trying to let them out.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Home depot sells sulpher bombs (toxic smoke) they work great. Instructions are on the package and perfect for city use.

Sent from my XT555C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
A few years back I had some groundhogs...took care of a few of them, but others replaced them...heard someone (can't remember who or where) say to shove the dead groundhog into its hole and leave it there to rot...don't bury it, just jam it down the hole as far as you can. That person claimed that other groundhogs using that hole would leave, wouldn't return, and no new ones would move in. I haven't seen a groundhog in my backyard since. Not sure if this actually worked in my situation or if it is coincidence.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
A few years back I had some groundhogs...took care of a few of them, but others replaced them...heard someone (can't remember who or where) say to shove the dead groundhog into its hole and leave it there to rot...don't bury it, just jam it down the hole as far as you can. That person claimed that other groundhogs using that hole would leave, wouldn't return, and no new ones would move in. I haven't seen a groundhog in my backyard since. Not sure if this actually worked in my situation or if it is coincidence.
It's a coincidence. I've seen them just push dead ones out of the hole and take up residence.

·
here kitty kitty!
466 Posts
you could try this ... preferred by many golf courses around the nation :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
City boys! Just use a connibear trap over the hole. Put it there late evening, collect your dead groundhog next morning. Keep going till they're gone. If dogs are a problem, get up early (pre-light) and put them over the holes, then watch them for a couple hours--they WILL come out. They usually just use one whole, with the other as a backup.

Floodin' them is temporary.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
City boys! Just use a connibear trap over the hole. Put it there late evening, collect your dead groundhog next morning. Keep going till they're gone. If dogs are a problem, get up early (pre-light) and put them over the holes, then watch them for a couple hours--they WILL come out. They usually just use one whole, with the other as a backup.

Floodin' them is temporary.
That works great... For those that have a 220 Conibear sitting around. Most people don't.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
We have always used the foothold traps at the hole...works like a charm. We don't like shooting near the barns and equipment. If we catch them out in the fields we'll shoot them, but we trap them and it is by far more effective than other means.

11 under a single pole barn! Sounds like you had a couple litters born this spring that is a lot for a single structure!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have tried the sulfur smoke bombs with no luck. don't like using them under the shed the ones I have shoot out a good sized flame. don't need to burn it down, even tried using to keep flame from hitting any parts of the shed. Anyone in or close to fremont area that would be willing to let me use a few traps for a bit I will make sure u get them back and work somthing out for letting me use them. Thanks Rick

1 - 20 of 41 Posts