Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Eriesistible
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started trolling more Dipsys and TruTrips, I switched to braided line. But now when I run the braid with stick baits off of my big boards, I have trouble finding the right release / setting to get proper release (or lack thereof). Any suggestions for the best release / setting to use would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
We run braid with red crepe rubber bands (can't recall size off hand) clipped into pilgrim releases...... no issue releasing accidentally pulling cranks. Without knowing your current setup, it is a little harder to assist. But for starters, if you are not using rubber bands to clip onto, my personal recommendation would be to try that.. plus with the rubber band, you will know what your lead was!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use the Amish Outfitters Pilgrim release. With the line clipped halfway in the rubber pads, I have no problem with false releases, but a short fish or white perch will not pull the line from the release. You have to watch the rod tops to see this.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Big Al's clips and gum bands are by far my favorite!!! ,

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
A rubber band and a plastic shower curtain ring or a 3" carabiner is all you need for TT basic and simple. Pilgrams with carabiner for stick baits with rubber band on the braid

·
Registered
881 Posts
I am starting to run big boards occasionally for the first time (going through that damn learning curve) so this is a very interesting thread.

I have been using the same Line/rod/reels I used for inlines. (8’ flexible trolling rods and 10-12 lb mono)

Last Saturday we had quit a few fish over 18” not get released from the clips with the line about 1/2 way in the pads of the releases. Running bandits/bayrats.
I mostly have the pilgrim releases, but also got a few of the clipper releases that I haven’t tried yet.

I have used rubber bands a couple of times before, but am still trying to figure out the best clip/release setup for me.

So I’m curious of what others feel the best release/line/rod set is for them.

Should I be running braid??

Good thread, sorry if this is considered a hijack.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Braid is better because it doesn't stretch and makes the release from the clip easier.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I always just used the pear-shaped metal shower curtain clips and the light rubber bands. I got my rubber bands from fishusa.com.

·
retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,499 Posts
#14 blue sold by steel city corp 2" long or red ones I run big boards with braid. I have pilgrim clips and set the band 3/8 to 1/2 way in clip watch the band for strech to determine if a fish is on. You will get it going once you use them a lot trial and error.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
A rubber band and a plastic shower curtain ring or a 3" carabiner is all you need for TT basic and simple. Pilgrams with carabiner for stick baits with rubber band on the braid

I added a swivel between the carabiner and the release. I wrapped a rubber band on the release right behind the pads. The rubber band adds more pressure on the pads and will hold braid very good. I want to control when the line is released from the tow line. Nothing worse than a Chinese fire drill when you hit a pocket of fish and get 3 or 4 releases at the same time. When a fish is detected you just point the rod at the clip take up the slack and smack the rod butt. Now you just maintain a tight line until the line clears and is behind the boat before you start reeling. It’s very simple and a lot of you chose to over complicate it. It’s fishing, it’s supposed to be relaxing.

·
retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,499 Posts
I did the same to release as mkalink and the rod but release works super if you can get others to do it.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Ducknut141, can you elaborate on why you need a clip for cranks, but only run a rubber band with TT? Am I understanding that correctly? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
No I use rubber bands on both set up's. I use the pilgrims with stick baits to make it easier to get the stick bait off the tow line without a fish. I just use the 3" carabiner and a rubber band for TT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts