close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help w/ drag problem on a Shimano Bantum Curado baitcaster!!!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Bass_assasin, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Hey everyone, I am having a problem w/ figuring out what is wrong w/ my dads curado baitcaster... I have the exaxt same one, but have misplaced my owners manuel and need some advice on how to fix it.. What happens is the drag can be set all the way, but it still is very easy to pull out line. He took it apart to clean it and put some Hot Sauce on the parts, and seems to believe that he may have oiled the drag setting.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Or maybe even a link to find a manuel on this reel.. Once agiain, it is a Shimano Bantum Curado 201B model.. Thanks :)
    Bass_assasin

2. MAKtackle

MAKtackle your REEL friend

I recall years back having the same problem after I took mine apart to clean and lube. Actually took it apart probably 5 times trying to fix it after my line was doing the same thing! What type of line is he using? I found out (DUHH) that I didn't use any backing when I re-spooled with braid. The line will spin/pull off the spool without the spool spinning. Have to tie mono on first to prevent this. Hope this is his problem also!

3. MAKtackle

MAKtackle your REEL friend

Also a warning with Curado and "Hot Sauce". I believe this is the BEST lubricant out there now but DO NOT OVERLUBE. The casting distance will dramatically change. Actually SUCK! It will be half the distance it use to be!

4. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

As MAKtackle says, the line can be the whole problem, but you don't have to add backing to solve it. Simply run all the line off the spool and apply a small piece of electrical tape over the knot to hold it tight to the spool cylinder. This will keep the knot from slipping on the spool and the first few wraps of line when you rewind will lock into the tape and bind it further. Always tape the attachment knots when using superlines whether you are using Baitcasting or Spinning tackle.

5. Bass_assasin, it sounds like there is hot sauce on the drag surfaces. Clean them with your favorite solvent and apply a very light coating of Shimano drag grease between the drag faces. This is a special grease and is only for use on the drag washers.

6. Thanks for the info guys :) I really appreciate the tips... I passed it on to him and he will try and get r' done....