Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for some info trolling inlines. Im sure their basic but ive never trolled em. I usuallt just troll jets and dypsies with spoons but looking to troll harnesses maybe out of geneva and would like help on it. how far behind the sinker should the harness be and how much line for certain depths, ie like 100 back would be how deep? Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I a m new at trolling inlines too. I was talking to some guy's this weekend that were using 1 1/2 oz. with the harness connected directly to the weight. They said they were putting out 40 - 60 feet of line. I have seen charts for sale in bait stores that had weights with line lenghts and depths.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Most run a 4-8' leader off the back of the weight with the bait on the end of the leader. This gives a depth chart.
http://www.rednekoutfitters.com/

Do a search here for "inline weights" and you'll find plenty of reading to help ya out.

Good luck....be safe out there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use the bass pro xps weights in 1,2,3,oz.There is a page in the latest precision trolling book.but here is some quick info i have 1oz.10'=40'back,16'=100'back,2oz.20'=65'back,25'=100'back,3oz.20'=40'b,30'=65'b,35'=80'b,40'=95'b.Hope this is a help.i run a 48"harness.

·
Registered
91 Posts
bud690, good question can't be of much help as I am new to inlines myself,,,,, just when I was getting jets/dipsys down.
I wonder if there is a difference between the *******-(fish style), the barrel type, or the keel ( i believe that's shaped like a banana), does anyone think one type is better than the others????

·
Registered
36 Posts
General rule of thumb for 2 oz in lines, 1 ft down for each 2 ft back.
General rule of thumb for 1 oz in lines, 1 ft down for each 3 ft back.
These "rules" are very speed sensitive, and are generally accurate at 1.0 mph. Faster than that, and your baits will be shallower, slower and they'll be deeper.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
bud690, good question can't be of much help as I am new to inlines myself,,,,, just when I was getting jets/dipsys down.
I wonder if there is a difference between the *******-(fish style), the barrel type, or the keel ( i believe that's shaped like a banana), does anyone think one type is better than the others????
I use the basspro inline weights. I also have snap weights that I will sometimes use, the Offshore snap-weight system is pricey, but it's pretty versatile.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Commodore,

When you use the snap weights, how far in front of the harness do you run them? I have used the snap weights with reef runners several times, and even in front of a jet 30, but not with harnesses

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
i will normally let out 50' put on 2oz snap and 40-60 more out(90-120) total...have really liked the snap weight as they have put a few hogs in the box!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Yeah, I usually do snap weights either approximately 20 or 50 feet ahead of the harness (or crank). Ever since my Precision Trolling book got wet, soggy and moldy, I have subscribed to the Hetfield Method of Interation, wherein I start somewhere and change leads until I start getting fish (or I should say "if" I start getting fish).

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Het's system is bulletproof, it's the system I live and die by, only years and years of using it is what makes it work to perfection and remembering where and when you used it in what depth of water is what makes an expert out of you. It's only when I bust out the book when I NEED to know where a bait keeps fireing so I can move other baits into that range if I'm running a couple different things...but then again that's a no no because it's hard to dial in a program running a crank, a 1 oz, a 2 oz, a jet and a dipsey...but I'm guity of that during the summer when speed doesn't matter as much like on saturday :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are just getting started keep it simple. Run all one ounce inlines (or all two ounce inlines) and vary the distance behind the board on each rod (30 back, 40 back, 50 back, etc). Will help you quickly figure out what depth works best each day. Don't forget to always run at least one rod up high in the water column - 18' behind the board with a one ounce is our favorite distance. We usually troll around 1.3 mph so that one is probably only 5-7 feet below the surface.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I found that a 6 foot leadder does make a HUGE differents in catching fish. Used same lure on 2 rods one had a 4 foot leader and could not catch a fish were the rod with a 6 foot leader caught 3 after the 3rd fish I retied the shorter lead and started catching fish on that rod as well.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
That's my favorite method? Maybe that's been the problem!! :)

That is the problem!!!!

I always tell guys it's WAY harder to dial in a program running a smorgasborg of programs and baits, try to stick to one thing and a pattern will develop before your eyes much sooner.

For example if your running cranks run all Reef Runners and stagger them throughout the water column, 40,60,80 on one side then on the other side go deep 100,150, 200, when you get a couple of fish adjust from there to where the active fish are 3 hours later all your baits will be running from the 40-90 range for example and you'll be plucking them left and right and 6 hours later you'll be heading home with a cooler full.

if your running inlines, try and stick with the same lead ounce. say 1 oz or 2oz. run them 20,30,40, then on the other side run 25, 45, 55. A pattern will soon develop.

The biggest reason behind sticking with one "type" of program is speed, a fish may wack a crank at 1.6 and you'll keep pulling fish at 1.6 on only the crank and you'll be wondering why the spinner isn't getting hit, well if you ran all spinners at 1.3, ALL the spinners would be getting bit at 1.3, each presentation requires a different set speed and it's IMPOSSIBLE to run a gammet of baits like a jet, diver, crank and spinner and have them all fire at 2.1. it's just not going to happen.

Once this time of year rolls around you can bang fish on some stuff at the same time, like on saturday we caught a TON of eyes, but we ran baits that you can run at like summer speeds, double willows, spoons off jets, and dispey's with spoons can all be ran at 1.6-2.2 and you can catch fish on all of them, but this is only in the summer at this time of year, later in the year in say 3 weeks spoons require a faster speed of 2.2 and above for them to really fire good. Then the double willows won't fire nearly as well, there best speed range is 1.6-2.2 all summer long, i do best on spoons at 2.2 and UP.

Hope this helps, try running all the same thing and see what happens I bet a pattern will show it's face sooner and your fishing will be more productive.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks Kgone. We have really only been at the trolling game for a couple of years now, and what you are saying, I have noticed. Last year on fathers day we had a three man ticket in less than 1.5 hours of fishing because the day before we had dialed in on a spoon color, speed, depth pattern the day before.
What I have been doing this year (only been able to make it out a couple of times) is using different lures at different depths to try to find the pattern, but we weren't really developing a program. But you are right, one lure has seemed to out perform the others even at similar depths.
Thanks again. One more example of how great this site is!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Nice post Kgone, Thanks. I'll be trying that this weekend, I hope. That said...on our boat, about 1.8mph is the lowest I can reliably go. Would I be better off with double willows presentation (assuming harnesses were my choice?).

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Nice post Kgone, Thanks. I'll be trying that this weekend, I hope. That said...on our boat, about 1.8mph is the lowest I can reliably go. Would I be better off with double willows presentation (assuming harnesses were my choice?).

Every day is different as you know, whatever you do try and run one thing or not to complicate (reef runners and double willows work well together) if you pull spinners colorado's and willows have both been good at the same speed (at least off cleveland) in the 1.6-.1.9 range and even a little over 2 in the 2.0-2.2 range. 1.8 is a good speed to fish right now you should be able to get them on double willows, cranks and colorado's, spoons I have caught fish on lately in Cleveland at 1.6 all the way up to 2.7, they have been weird, it seems like if you pull through active fish in open water they will hit everything, if you fish lorain they WILL be pickier that's for sure and will require a little more "dialing in" so to speak. Rules are meant to be broke expecially in the summer just don't pull colorado's at 1.3 and expect spoons to fire LOL

·
Registered
662 Posts
That's why he's the warrye ninja. I agree, it is sooo much easier to dial in on a pattern when using the same presentation at different lead lengths.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
That's why he's the warrye ninja. I agree, it is sooo much easier to dial in on a pattern when using the same presentation at different lead lengths.
My signiture needed a change I should have spelled it that way :D My wreg my wreg, you gotta have papascott tell you the story, swantucky might have been there too. Fing hilarious man. a true classic. one I tell often just wish i could tell it with the pizaz that they do.it's not even one of those guess you had to be there ones, anyone can tell it and it's still funny!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts