close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help shutting down programs in XP

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Orlando, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Need help shutting down programs in XP. I go to Run, type msconfig, start up, uncheck programs I don't want to load at start up, re boot computer and the programs come back checked. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Orlando,

Did you manually check your registry (remove entries) and your startup folder? Also, check to see if a service that is running initiates it.

3. What in particular are you trying to stop? MSCONFIG is not an area that I usually use to control programs. The first place as Shake mentioned is the startup folder. And then the settings of the program itself if it has such a feature. I have had to use the registry to eliminate nuisance items at times. What you may do if the standard methods do not work is do a google search for the program and "removal". Often times if it is something that is out of the ordinary then someone has documented it someone on the net.

I hope this helps.

4. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Isn't that how you get to the start up items through msconfig? I'm not trying to remove anything I'm just trying to keep uneeded items from loading at start up. Just makes things run faster. Thanks

5. I don't do it through that method and the system that I am on currently is Windows 2000 which does not have the MSCONFIG feature. I get rid of items in the startup by going to the Start/Programs/Startup and then right clicking and deleting the entry. I use the MSCONFIG so seldom that I can not answer exactly how that one works. Perhaps someone else can let you know. But the way that I mentioned above is a very easy method.

6. panfish

panfish

7. Those are some good links Panfish! That saves me some typing to get the idea across.;)