Ohio Game Fishing banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'll be there memorial day weekend. Might fish Erie on Memorial Day.
Sweet! I cant tell you how many times we have said we are gonna trailer up and head over to Erie for a day but we never have. Hope you do well in both places!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
let me know how yurkies is
We just got back from staying at Yerkey’s. I wouldn’t go back that’s for sure. Accommodations were very basic to say it nicely. The place was dirty, dishes weren’t washed, some windows worked others didn’t, bugs, lots of them especially ants. The water heater sounded like the agitator of a washer when reheating. Some lights worked, some didn’t even have bulbs. The biggest complaint was the shower. I can pee a stronger stream that what they thing spit out. Oh also the fish cleaning station was absolutely disgusting, maggots rolling out of the 5 gal bucket of left over fish parts. All said and done we did have a roof over our heads and cable TV!! As for the fishing, we didn’t slay em but definitely caught our fair share of nice bass, perch, and occasional walleye. Many of the bass were on beds and overall seemed to be in funk. Best overall presentation was a nail weighted wacky rigged senkos. I did however get one nice smallie on topwater our last evening there. We’d definitely go back for the fishing!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the report.
I stayed at Yurkys about 6 years ago. Similar opinion. I'd stay again. Nice docks. Good parking.
Spent a few hours in the garage tonight shooting some Senkos and some other stuff.
Did awesome memorial weekend last year. Big bass not so much on numbers.
Heading up Friday night.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I used to stay at Irwin’s bay cottages and more recently when I have went up we have done vrbo. Looking at the price for yurkies you probably get what you pay for. Sounds like a place I would stay fit sure if it was me and a buddy fishing. If I tried to take my wife and kids there I would be in trouble. If you were unhappy I would suggest finding a vrbo. There are some in all price ranges.

As far as the lake goes, I am making the drive for a single day of fishing June 17th. Good luck to all of you headed up before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I used to stay at Irwin’s bay cottages and more recently when I have went up we have done vrbo. Looking at the price for yurkies you probably get what you pay for. Sounds like a place I would stay fit sure if it was me and a buddy fishing. If I tried to take my wife and kids there I would be in trouble. If you were unhappy I would suggest finding a vrbo. There are some in all price ranges.

As far as the lake goes, I am making the drive for a single day of fishing June 17th. Good luck to all of you headed up before then.

Good luck! We looked into Irwin Bay while there. Seems like they run a much better operation. I’ll have to look more into vrbo too for our next trip. Let us know how you do!!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yerkey's was fine for what we needed. The beds sucked and all the screens had holes which would have been a problem if it was buggy but luckily it was not. I did have to hold my breath at the fish cleaning station. Bob needs to sink some money into improving the cabins but at that price, I was not expecting much. We stayed in the 3br cabin and was nice to have the extra space for the 2 of us. I just posted a recap of my trip. Good luck to you guys that are heading up there!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
We're staying at a VRBO on the south end of the lake in a week and a half. Any fishing hotspots down there? I haven't fished the south end before. We'll be trying for anything that bites from panfish to muskie.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
We're staying at a VRBO on the south end of the lake in a week and a half. Any fishing hotspots down there? I haven't fished the south end before. We'll be trying for anything that bites from panfish to muskie.
Hey best of luck! I’m not familiar with the south end what so ever. Looks like it can get choked up with weeds though. Check out the Facebook page “Chautauqua Lake Musky and Walleye” group. They have some insight.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I will be up next Thursday bass fishing. I also have only fished the south end 2 times, but if your looking for panfish hit the inside or outside edge of the weeds with worms. You can also go in the weeds if they are not too thick. I have never really targeted walleye up there, but it looks like trolling bottom bouncer or drop shoting the outside weed edge should get you a few. I know absolutely nothing about musky I have caught 2 up there lifetime 1 while perch fishing and one on a spinnerbait. Good luck report back with how you do.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I will be up next Thursday bass fishing. I also have only fished the south end 2 times, but if your looking for panfish hit the inside or outside edge of the weeds with worms. You can also go in the weeds if they are not too thick. I have never really targeted walleye up there, but it looks like trolling bottom bouncer or drop shoting the outside weed edge should get you a few. I know absolutely nothing about musky I have caught 2 up there lifetime 1 while perch fishing and one on a spinnerbait. Good luck report back with how you do.

I'm bringing my boat up there that is registered in Ohio. Do I need any special New York registration to launch my boat there?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm bringing my boat up there that is registered in Ohio. Do I need any special New York registration to launch my boat there?
No you do not. Your Ohio registration is fine if it is current.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Just got back from the lake got up there we’d evening like 6 and caught 13 bass biggest was 2.9 before dark. Was back on the water Thursday from 7-4 it was slow had about 15 bass biggest was only 1.6 lbs. the cold front seemed to push them out from the docks till the afternoon. I did catch a 12.25 inch yellow perch on a spinnerbait. Good luck bdawg when you go up.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts