Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a spring bass fishing trip with my father. Catch and release. When is the best time to go? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I usually go in June and hit docks but I have heard it’s really good in may as well. Someone on here goes up late April early may every year. Might be bleedingminnow. I would do a search for lake chatauqua and maybe reach out to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,961 Posts
Mid may thru 2nd week of June is usually a good window.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jpbasspro

·
Registered
956 Posts
For spring trips, I've gone as early as 1st week of May and as late as 2nd week of June. The later you go, the more the weeds will have filled in but bass can be easier to pattern with fish on docks. The earlier you go, the more unstable the weather will be and bass might still be transitioning. Its a big body of water and kind of fishes like 2 different lakes with how its set up deep north and shallow south. Not all of the docks are in if you go too early so keep that in mind if you are planning on fishing docks, which is very popular and productive there. I haven't booked this year's trip yet as the place we have been staying sold recently and new owners are not yet taking reservations. I am hoping to get that locked down soon and we will probably go the week before Memorial day. Make sure you are familiar with the regulations as there is a window where its catch and release with artificial only. Let me know if I can help further.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've never fished the lake before but since the border of Canada is still supposed to be closed I'm thinking of trying it. Will have wife and daughter with me and they don't fish docks, would rather cast and reel spinnerbaits and cranks. Are the weeds that bad from Memorial Day through second week of June or still coming up?

·
Super Moderator
3,961 Posts
I've never fished the lake before but since the border of Canada is still supposed to be closed I'm thinking of trying it. Will have wife and daughter with me and they don't fish docks, would rather cast and reel spinnerbaits and cranks. Are the weeds that bad from Memorial Day through second week of June or still coming up?
Weeds will developing at a rapid pace from mem-mid june, but it is all weather dependent.

Also heard rumor that if you have a negative covid test within 3 days of crossing into Canada, you are good??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Spinnerbaits yes. Crankbaits outside weedlines 10-12 ft.

·
Registered
707 Posts
There are areas that you could absolutely throw spinnerbaits in June, rocky areas with sparse weeds, or other sparse areas. But the majority of the weed beds will be thick by then. Outside weed edges will produce on both of those tactics as well. It’s a good lake you should catch fish. It will still be catch release then till second Saturday in June I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks al for your input . I don't keep any of the bass just like to catch them. Yeah the Canada thing is a bit unclear right now as they have not officially opened the border and that clause is for essential workers that cross the border (trucks ect..) Hoping they let people in who have been vaccinated but we shall see. Thanks again for your thoughts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Grew up fishing this lake.. Preferred the upper lake as its deeper and better for smallmouth. Fished the edges of the weed lines with tube jigs. Occasional muskie made life interesting on 8 pound line.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For spring trips, I've gone as early as 1st week of May and as late as 2nd week of June. The later you go, the more the weeds will have filled in but bass can be easier to pattern with fish on docks. The earlier you go, the more unstable the weather will be and bass might still be transitioning. Its a big body of water and kind of fishes like 2 different lakes with how its set up deep north and shallow south. Not all of the docks are in if you go too early so keep that in mind if you are planning on fishing docks, which is very popular and productive there. I haven't booked this year's trip yet as the place we have been staying sold recently and new owners are not yet taking reservations. I am hoping to get that locked down soon and we will probably go the week before Memorial day. Make sure you are familiar with the regulations as there is a window where its catch and release with artificial only. Let me know if I can help further.
Was that Pine Hill resort you used to stay? I emailed them and they said that they were selling and someone would get back to me. That was several weeks ago and I’ve not heard anything.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Was that Pine Hill resort you used to stay? I emailed them and they said that they were selling and someone would get back to me. That was several weeks ago and I’ve not heard anything.
Yes. Was disappointed to find out they were selling last year, Last I heard from them was the closing was delayed so I booked at Yerkey’s cottages this year.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am setup with a guide this year for 2 days with 1 or 2 people only for 800. If I am thinking of the same Lake just over the NY border. Need to read the laws. June 1&2 is when I am booked and it's ny open day of muskie season. If you would like the name and number to the guide just pm me.

·
Registered
956 Posts
So who is heading to Chautauqua this spring? I will be there with a buddy 3 weeks from today. Cant wait. Staying at a new camp this year so that is always exciting. I read the lake has been really low like most places but I assume its filling up now. I also read the lake will receive some "targeted" herbicidal treatments in the week before we arrive.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So who is heading to Chautauqua this spring? I will be there with a buddy 3 weeks from today. Cant wait. Staying at a new camp this year so that is always exciting. I read the lake has been really low like most places but I assume its filling up now. I also read the lake will receive some "targeted" herbicidal treatments in the week before we arrive.
I’ll be there with my dad May 21-24. Staying at Yerkey’s !

·
Registered
956 Posts
I’ll be there with my dad May 21-24. Staying at Yerkey’s !
Dang we will be pulling in just after you. We will be there that week after you leave. I hope you guys whack em but maybe leave some for us ok?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dang we will be pulling in just after you. We will be there that week after you leave. I hope you guys whack em but maybe leave some for us ok?
Thanks! Hopefully the fish Gods will shine on us a bit. I’ll update you on how we did, etc.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts