Need help on Paulding and Van Wert reservoirs

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Big K, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Big K

Big K

I am intersted on some help of how to catch saugeye and perch on Paulding and Van Wert reservoirs. Paulding has no structure and I don't know about Van Wert.

2. Never had much luck, But in the south Van Wert res. they put several hundred xmas trees along the west bank. went out there with a conoe and a fish finder and saw them down there. the piles are with in 60-100 feet of shore.

If you have a boat you need to pick up a special pass from the parks and rec office in VW and its electric only and no ramp.

Good luck.

3. Van Wert doesn't have any either...grew up fishing there. Best way that I found to catch anything in those reservoirs was to fish the wind-blown side with 1/8oz white twister tails or floating leeches under a slip bobber.

I used to catch a fair amount of walleyes and smallies with the leeches, and would catch darn near everything with the white twister tails. Another color to try is black...

Hope that helps...the South reservoir at Van Wert was always better for me than the North.

4. Try using 1/8 chartruse jigs and tails hopping them along the rip-rap best on the east end of res. Also slip bob with leaches with gold hook spring time is the best you will also catch lot os nice cats there also. Just keep tring you will get the hang of it good luck.

5. Big K

Big K

I also do the jig thing in the spring with mixed results. Is there a better way to catch saugeye in the fall. I do have a boat to put on Paulding and Van Wert reservoirs. (can you catch more from a boat in the fall)