need help on outboard motor swap

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishnfool, Apr 19, 2008.

1. fishnfool

fishnfool out4dabig1

I just bought a merc 150 for my boat and just hope some body can clear up a couple of things for me. first off the height of the motor: exactly where is the optimum placement of the cavitation plate? second. My boat has single cable steering and the new motor is set up for dual steering. What are my options? Do I need to convert over to a dual steering set up or can I add a suppresor or something to help with the engine torque? I have the motor on the boat now and is hooked hooked up but I don't think it will be fun trying to steer through accelleration. Any info would be greatly apprecieated

2. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

I just put twin Merc 150 EFIs on my boat a couple years ago. They replaced twin 175s. I cannot help with the steering as my boat has Seastar hydraulic steering, and I am not familiar enough with cable steering. As far as the height of the motor on the transom, the engine should be mounted at a height that the anti-cav plate is just above the bottom of the transom. Any higher and you risk a water intake problem. Any lower and you increase the drag and torque steer of the motor. After I hooked my motors up, I took the boat to a merc mechanic to ensure the throttles were set correctly, and the oil lines and pump assembly purged of air. I didn't want to take any chances of the engines being starved for oil.

Workdog