close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help on merc outboard, Lake raider your the expert but anyone have idea

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Fish4Fun, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Ok guys i have ran this motor only 2 times this yr and dad bought the boat in flordia over the winter. I found out that either my pick up is plugged or have bad impeller. Today i was looking over the motor and found a crack in the case where the prop is. I can't say for sure if it was there before or not when dad bought the boat. What could have caused it? Now question is the lower end needs to be dropped to fix the impeller. So can the crack just be tig welded, I can do this at work and clean it up real well, I need some insight on this. I want to pick up a 9.9 for it this winter. the 20 hp with bad impeller and crack is a strong running motor. Here is a pic!

[​IMG]

2. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

guessing the crack was caused by water in the Lower unit freezing over the winter, did you change the lower unit oil when you got the boat this winter? It'd be a safe bet to say that the dealer in FL didn't do it unless you asked him to.

as to how to repair it, I'm going to have to defer that to others.

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Did not change the oil in the lower unit, its possible that may have caused it motor was brought up in FEB and put in the unheated garage. Motor has probably never been winterized as it stayed on the lake yr round in flordia i believe.

4. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Well, I'd say you found your culprit just guessing. Also looking at where the crack started you might have a blown seal as well. Again, these are just guesses.

5. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

It is not really necessary to change the lower unit oil each time you winterize the motor. Just back the lower unit drain screw out a bit. If there is any water in there, it will dribble out before the oil will.

I always check mine each fall with the above procedure. If there is no water in there (and I've never had any), I just tighten the screw back up, and wait till spring to do the change.

6. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Probably a casting flaw. Anyway, before you tig weld it, Drill a small hole thru the aluminum at the end of the crack (1/16 ") to stop the travel of the crack as the repair is done.To repair properly, drop the foot and disasemple.V out the area both sides lightley. Also preheat the area till the smoke stops curling off the casing, (this helps remove the impurities). Make sure your filler metal is compatable. Don,t overheat the case. Repair #2 Drill the hole, preheat and mig it with aluminum. Coat the carrier bearing threads with a wet clay mixture so the spatter doesn,t mess with ya' if go inside the case. Raider<><> :cool:

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

lake thanks for the reply, that is right along what i was thinking sounds like you have done a few. Do you do that kind of work on the side? What would you charge to do it. I am thinking of tearing it down when i get back from chicago next week. A guy at work is an excellent welder better than me and will do the welding. Just never had one apart before.

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

lake is there any were to buy a cheap used lower unit housing with no inners that i could swap mine parts into.

9. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Look on ebay. For now, drop the lower unit, pop an impellar in it. (30 min. job)Drill the hole I explained TO STOP THE CRACK FROM TRAVELING. V-out the crack a little on the outside and sand surrounding area to remove paint. Apply JB Weld (2 part epoxy)to the area. Keep fishing till fall. Check the lower unit lube for water periodically. Just a thought. :)
    Raider<><>

Tip of the day. Drain off 1 oz. of lower unit lube after filling to allow for expansion.

10. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I did think of the JB miricale solution for a quick fix. I will think it over while iam away for the week. even if i drop the motor for the weld i can still fish knox with the trolling motor. Will see. Thanks for all the info lakeraider.

11. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Well i dropped the lower unit today, oil was nasty. I flushed everything in the partswasher cleaned it all up drilled the hole v'ed and JB welded it. Also replaced the impeller and blew out the pick up tube. Letting set for a day so won't use it at tappan sat will come up for the cook out and fish with the kids some. I tell ya big thanks to Mike down at Knox marina he told me everything i needed to know and i even went down and showed him the unit and talked about a couple things with him.

12. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Well tested the motor at knox today just ran enough to see the impeller is working fine and fwd and rev no problems, crack with jb weld looks good thanks for all the advice lake and others.