Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know how to rig it and all but how do you fish it? even time i twitch it it spins around and falls. does not look the best. i texas rig it. i know there are other ways to rig it but have not tried the, yet. i have the other hook you can use jsut have not used them yet. that might be my problem lol.

thanks for the help.

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
I'll try and give you some advice since the fluke is my fave lure of all time. Start off Texas rigging it with a #3 wide gap hook. Toss it out there and let it sit for a moment or two while reeling in your slack. Start with a suttle twitch of the rod tip, then another or double twitch. I like to use either all white or green/white, silver/black color combos so I can see them just under the surface the whole time on the retrieve. You can usually see the fish take the fluke. Its best to use this lure under low wind conditions so you can hold your rod tip up high the whole time. If theres too much wind you have to hold the tip down on the surface of the water while twitching but its harder to set the hook this way. Remember on the retrieve never just reel it in you're only using the reel to catch up on the slack and using the rod to actually move the lure.

If you're not getting any action in a pond on this lure then you're fishing it too fast. Just a little twitch goes a long way on this lure. Make sure and get the big Super Flukes(6") instead of the little ones since they have better action IMO. The Shaw Grigsby flukes have like a whale tail design and I like them best.

As far as the spinning goes I always use a snap swivel to stop the line twisting or otherwise you'll have a ratsnest soon.

Sometimes you can try walking the dog with this lure at low light conditions. Its really deadly that way since its virtually a top water lure then. I've also had done well just casting the lure out behind the boat in heavy, heavy weeds and then just pulsing the trolling motor every once in a while and barely twitching the rod every 5 seconds or so. I don't retrieve the slack this way I just swim it behind the boat, almost trolling but always letting off the motor so it still stays down under the suface. When fishing it like this you just watch your rod tip like trolling because you usually cant see the lure. This lure is so weedless you'll never have to stop and clean weeds so its always in the water this way.

Sorry about the jumbled sentences, its too early in the morning.:eek:

·
Registered
990 Posts
If it rolls, the hook is not properly set. Check out this months infisherman. It explains different hooking locations to get flukes and senkos. I can't explain it, but check out the pictures, it explains alot!

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. i've been fishing right for the most part. just a small thing or 2 worng. but that makes all the difference.

·
Dreams DO come true!
1,945 Posts
Lake Fork Tackle has an underwater video of their LIVE Magic Shad in action. It is a Fluke, but instead of a solid body from head to tail, it is "jointed" (to give it a more natural presentation)
Flukes are one of my favorite things to throw, and trust me, they are a big fish bait too!!
Basically, watch the video below...study how the bait moves through the water, and then try to duplicate it. Just remember though, that there are SO many ways to rig this bait. Texas Rig (with or without a weight, Carolina Rig, Drop Shot, split shot, on a jig head, on a weighted hook (keel weight)...

Personally, I find that the longer I let it soak in between twitches, the better results I get.
Post spawn should be an awesome time to fish this bait :D
Make SURE that you are rigged completely center, otherwise you will get line twist. That rule applies to ANY soft plastic. Take the time...do it right the first time. Save yourself the headache...
The choice of hook is also really important, as the Fluke has a lot of "meat" to it's body. I prefer using a 4/0 EWG with the 4 1/2" version. I will usually dropshot the smaller version.
Also, I prefer to use Fluorocarbon line when I fish with this fluke. It gives it a slightly faster fall because Fluorocarbon sinks in the water.
Lake Fork currently has the LIVE Magic Shad in 2 sizes... 3 1/2" and 4 1/2". Rumor has it that they will soon be coming out with a 5 1/2"!!!!
Man...I can't even imagine the size fish you would catch on that one...I think I may have to go out and buy Saltwater Fishing Tackle!!!! lol:B

Click link to watch underwater video...
http://lftlures.com/LMSstream.wvx

Here is a photo of the LIVE Magic Shad

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
And if you are having a hard time getting it to suspend horizontally you can always try to insert a weight into it. They make small thin weights you can stick in the bait, or you can do what I do and just cut the head off a small nail and use it. Just insert the weight where needed...if it's sinking at the head, put it toward the tail, and vise versa.

Don't overwork the thing...it doesn't require a lot of rodtip action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts