close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help on electrical hook-up for trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Ray, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Ray

Ray

I just bought a 24 volt Minnkoto electric motor.I aso bought the 24 volt three prong receptical and plug for it.The motor has two wires,a black and red.The wires coming from the batteries are red and black with a 50 amp circut breaker on the red side.The receptical and plug has three wires,a black,red and orange.What is with the third orange wire.What do I do with that?Is that to be eliminated or is the red supposed to be eliminated?
    Also,the wires coming off the motor are 10 ga,The wires on the receptical and plug are 8 ga and the wires to the batteries are 6 ga,The wire on the circut breaker is 8 ga.Should I replace the wire on the circut breaker with a 6 ga wire too.?
    Forgive me for asking so many questions.I put alot of money into this project and I'd hate to blow it all up by not going about it in the right way.Thanks ahead of time......Ray

2. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Orange wire is for 36V applications....I have a 24V troller on my boat and have a 3 prong plug setup on it...I only use 2 of the prongs though...2 wires from the battery two the recepticle(Black and Red) and 2 wires from the troller to the plug(black and red also)

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Disregard the orange wire.
    Red wire to +positive...black to - negative.