close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need help identifying/finding this....

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by EE, Jun 29, 2005.

1. EE

EE

with the eyelet at the top of this weight, it is ideal for the type of fishing I do. I know the lindy rig weights are similar to this, but the hole is simply through the weight itself; here, there is an actual eyelet at the top of the weight. Can anybody identify what kind this is and where they may be able to be purchased? they are tough to find, according to a fishing buddy, so I thought I'd post a picture for the OGF community.....
    thanks
    eek

[​IMG]

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

No, I don't know where to get them, but it is a "walking sinker". Maybe run a search at various tackle suppliers, like www.jannsnetcraft.com Barlowsexpresstackle, etc.

3. EE

EE

a "walking sinker", gotcha. is that what they call the lindy sinkers as well? for some reason, I have fewer snags with these than the lindy type sinkers.

4. EE

EE

good news, after following some links from one site to another, I found what I was looking for on the 4th site. I've looked at several other sites as well and most companies seem to carry the weights with the hole in the weight itself, but I found the ones with some eyelets.
    MFO, thanks for the tip and the beginning link that got my search underway...
    eek

5. mrfishohio

So tell us, where did you find them ? I never saw them with the eyelets before either. :confused:

6. mrfishohio

7. Those are just the standard walking sinders that are used in Lindy rigging. I know I bought some from Cabela's but I think I bought some from Wally World a while back as well. I have started using these no snag style instead. They seem to work very well.

8. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Buy a Do-It mold and you can make all the walking sinkers you need. I bought one and it makes several sizes of these sinkers.

9. We have those at Gander Mountain here in Huber Heights. They are in our bulk tackle section and are 5 for $1. We have them painted in different colors as well and the painted ones are 3 for $1.

10. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

I also carry them. They are good because you can change weights without having to retie the whole rig.

11. EE

EE

great input, thanks to all of you.
    Brian, I may look into those no-snag weights at your link, I like the design that keeps them vertical.
    Corey, a technical question for you about the use of these walking sinkers.......I don't know if you'll read this anytime soon, but maybe you'll come back around to it at some point.
    The reason why I enjoy using this type of sinkers is, it gets the bait down to the bottom obviously, but with the line running freely "through" them, they don't hinder the feel I have for a fish bite.....I'm guessing the fish are less likely to feel the weight and let go. When you say you can change weights without having to retie the whole rig, I assume you have some sort of snap involved. does that still allow the line to run freely through the weight, or is it pretty much attached to a fixed point in your line? I'm wondering if it increases the resistance a fish feels as it grabs the bait?
    thanks for any responses,
    eek

12. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

You use them for the same reasons I do. Yes, you can drop back to a light biting fish and let it move away with the bait without feeling resistance. The ones I carry are the same as the one you show in your pic but the eyelet on mine is a "Quick Change" eyelet so you can maintain bottom contact and bait control by snapping one weight off and substituting another if you change depths or boat speed.

13. EE

EE

sounds good. I'll be looking for those with the "quick change" eyelet.