close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help from some of the more experienced

Discussion in 'Canoes & Kayaks' started by dnm, Jun 29, 2005.

1. dnm

dnm

Hi all, I have gotten floating in currents and waves down on hoover. Im just tryting to figure out the best way to fish off the yak without floating all over the place.

Also, if anyone is intrested in fishing with me sometime let me know, Im in central ohio.

2. You could get you a small drift sock or an anchor, it would not take much to slow down a kayak.

3. dnm

dnm

Wouldnt you be taking a huge chance on flipping on say like hoover? I was there yesterday and the current was fairly strong, I would just worry about flipping

4. Never thought about that, I guess the drift sock could pull you and maybe cause you to flip but the anchor should hold you ok without flipping. I've used an anchor in a canoe lots of times with no problems.

5. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

6. dnm

dnm

Where do you guys fish with your yak or canoe?

7. Mostly Darby Creek or Deer Creek but sometime take it out on Hargus lake.

8. dnm

dnm

Has anyone been to hoover? How is it on deer creek? Do you hit the creek or the lake?

9. Only been in the creek. You can put in off 56 just east of Mt Sterling or there are a few places off 207 you can put in or by the rifle range off Yankeetown Pike. Also some good spots below the lake.

10. The wind will really blow a kayak around. An anchor might not be a bad idea for flat water, if you want to spend a great deal of time in on spot. I generally move around a lot, and many times will be using my lure (crankbait or large spinnerbait) to help guide the kayak along the shoreline. If it is really windy, I will sometimes “beach” the back of the kayak to fish a spot. In time, you will master the one hand (use your forearm) paddle to correct your position.

11. i second what rooster said, in smaller winds i almost always just use my hands to go where i want and to hold in a spot. it lets you be super quiet and not spook and fish. i briefly tried an anchor (imporvised brick tied off the bow) but it still didn't hold in the stronger winds. i'm sure an actual anchor would work better if you came up with a good way to rig in so it can easily be put out and brought in. As far as tipping it'd have to be gail force, i've never once worried about it in mine. i've had waves come over the bow into the cockpit a few times but the kayak was totally stable.

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I use the bricks with 3 holes in them for an anchor. I tied two of them together laid end-to-end and they held well.
    Fished Nimisila, Mosquito, upper Cuyahoga River, Tuscarawas River and Chippawa Creek.

13. I have not found a good way to stay still. I tried a little anchor that was designed for canoes/kayaks. It didn't hold very well. I tried the sock, it pulled me along with the currents.

I never felt like I was going to flip.
    i never was held tight to a location either.

14. Get a mesh bag or potato sack and some rope. Fill it with rocks when you need to anchor, then you are not carying the extra weight!! Cheap and Easy ;)