close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help finding a spark plug for an old motor

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TommyV, Jan 10, 2009.

1. TommyV

TommyV tommyv

Guys and Gals: I have a wonderful 1962 Evinrude 5.5 outboard motor that has been in the family since it was new. The manual calls for J-4-J spark plugs and I can't find one anywhere. The current plugs are about 15 years old and I would like to replace them. I have been to stores that sell "marina" plugs but I can't find this J-4-J. Any advice? I have always gotten good advice before.:confused:

2. I believe the modern equivalent is the J4C.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Check with NAPA. They may carry them. If not there should be a replacement for that number. I know that companys that make them have changed their numbers. I work at sears and our lawn and garden section just had a bunch of changes from the older number to new numbers. Also do a google search. I have a 64 model Johnson 5.5 that I got new plugs for about a year ago. Can't remember where but they called for J4J also.

4. j4j superceeded by J4C or J6C which is a hotter plug. Read this info
    on i boats.com . I myself received lots of input there on a 56 evinrude 35 hp.

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

6. TommyV

TommyV tommyv

Thanks guys. You are just absolutely a fountain of information. I always get my answers here on OGF!;)