close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need help/asap

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FishnJoe, May 26, 2004.

1. I just purchased a boat w/motor. I bought this without trying out on water. Problem.....having traveled over 150 miles to return home w/boat, I noticed Thick grease coming from motor. Attaching pic. I need advice "as soon as possible" thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Hmmm...I'm no expert, but the only thing I can think of is that it's a surface lube for the tilt or steering mechanism. If so, it's prolly just extra grease.

Does it have power trim? If that was coming out of the lower unit or prop, I'd be real concerned...then again, it's hard to tell by the pic what exactly it is.

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I agree with Brandon. Are there grease fittings under all that gunk? Wipe it clean and see if there are little metal fittings for a grease gun. If that's all it is, you're fine.

Can't imagine it'd be any oil coming from the motor.

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Looks like the pivot point, where the motor turns from side to side. If so, be glad there's grease & it's not dry.

5. got another pic to help explain greese area's - locations. no nipple in area's of grease. Also the prop is missing what seems like a cover/cap.The Guy I bought it from said it was no problem without it. Seems to me that it should not be exposed.

Attached Files:

6. ShakeDown

Most props are uncapped. Thru hub exhaust.

7. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

theres no cap there cause you don,t need it as long as theres a nut or pin holding the prop on your fine, as for the grease someone at sometime for whatever reason greased it there its not a grease leak or anything like that cause the moter dosn,t use any type of grease like that internal, take a better look and make sure the grease fitting didn,t break off or fall out and than check the general area around the area where the grease is cause the fitting may be several inches away from that area and if you find a fitting above or below or off to one side or another shoot some grease into it and see if it puhes grease out, the only thing in the motor that has fluid is the lower unit and i bet if you look around hard enough you,ll find a fitting or a hole where a fitting should be, good luck.................. :cool:

8. catking

catking Banned

Glad to see ya get a boat Joe !!! THE CATKING !!!

9. ShakeDown

Translation: BOAT RIDE BOAT RIDE BOAT RIDE!! :D

10. thanks guys. and catking, I'de be honored. You da man in the know

11. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

The catking strikes again. Add that to your free rides Catking, carpking or what ever your using at this time :D :p

12. catking

catking Banned

FishnJoe happens to be a neighbor ;) And it NEVER hurts to get your foot in the door. Thanks Joe for the offer ;) Translate this Shake and Dale........ :p :p DA KING !!!

13. ShakeDown

Fishnjoe....Catking strikes me as the type of neighbor with knee high grass, and a burned out cutlass on blocks in the front yard....maybe even still has christmas lights up. Can you confirm please? :D

14. catking

catking Banned

No cutless on blocks, but I do have a half of a chevy pickup I use as a trailer for firewood, I believe it's still there in the weeds.......xmas lights??? I ran over the cords of the ones in the bushes out front,with the lawn mower, so they are NOT up :cool: I'm serious :D The wife was also :eek: THE CATKING !!!

15. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Catking your one of a kind. That's why we keep you around. I'll let you ride with me if you behave.If that's possible!

16. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

THat's Ricardo this month Dale :D