close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need digital camera comments

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shortdrift, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Found two cameras around $200 which I like. Cannon A510 which has more features than I need. I don't care for all the little symbols on the selector switch which will only serve to confuse the Warden but the size and general construction look good.
    The other is a Hewlett Packard M407 that has a few less features but uses four buttons on the back to select modes. The selection is displayed on the screen which eliminates all the memorization required with the Cannon.
    Both have the same pixel count and zoom capability. The HP is slightly larger and does not look as rugged.
    Does anyone have experience with the HP line of digitals or the Cannon in these models or other similar models?
    Your comments please.

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I use a Sony, you might want to go to Steve's Camera Review or something like that it's called. You'll get the skinny on any model you can find. Maybe I'll run a seach for his site. Ease of use, rechargeable battery, storage medium, all contribute to how well you'll enjoy it.

3. mrfishohio

4. mrfishohio

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Hey Shortdrift....dont let all those symbols overwhelm you...

out of all those symbols there are only 2 that you would need:

"camera" (take pictures)

"playback" (view pictures)

the others could/will come in handy but arent critical, especially at first.

As far as zoom....never consider "digital" zoom, only "optical". In this case the canon has 4x vs. 3x on the HP.

(you can digital zoom all you want on your photo editing software...)

The HP beats the Cannon in resolution, 4mp compared to 3.

Just some things to consider....ive never used either camera. I agree with disc on the Sony stuff....they put out some awesome cameras. Not for that price, though. I do like the sound of that Canon though...

6. EE

EE

Shortdrift,
    for about the same price (maybe an extra 25 bucks), I use a Casio Exilim EX Z40, it's been a great fishing camera for me. It's small enough to put in any pocket of my fishing vest/tackle box, it takes about 2 seconds to turn it on and take a picture; it's REALLY easy to use, produces high quality images, and I can go weeks and weeks without having to recharge the battery that comes with the camera. I wanted to avoid the larger sized digital camera for the sheer bulk of them; this one, I can reach for it, snap a shot and stick it back in my chest pocket all with one hand in about 5 seconds. I'm sure these are all good options, just an extra one to look at.
    eek

7. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i own a canon and love it..like hardwaterfan said.. the only mode that get use the most are playback and takin pictures..plus the software is veery easy to use..
    my mother own a casio exslim, she loves it as well..

8. Shortdrift,

I've been using a Canon S40 (4megapixel) for 2-3 years now, and it's great. I know what you mean about all of the icons - I usually set it to AUTO and let it take the pics. All of my pics on the gallery are with this cam. Last week, my wife got me a Canon SD110 (3 megapixel) - stainless steel frame (not waterproof, though) and only as big as a cigarette box, about half the size of my S40. Fits great in any pocket, so it;s my new fihing camera. Takes 30-second movies with sound that are terrific. Both are around $200.

As for resolution, unless you are going to print photos bigger than 8x10, 3 megapixels is approaching overkill. With any digital camera, memory is the biggest worry. If you get a 128meg memory card, it will hold a bit over a hundred images, depending on the camera settings for compression. I just put a 512 meg SD card in the SD110, and have a 128 in the S40. You'll run out of battery power in a hurry if you snap a lot of pics, so get one with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, and get a spare battery. Amazon.com is a good place to save some bucks on memory cards and batteries.

ON a cold day, the batteries will not work - you have to keep the camera warm, inside a shirt pocket is good. Watch when you leanover the rail so the camera doesn't go in the drink.

9. You know what I have and have seen it in action...
    The Cannon Power Shot A75 I purchased on sale from Office Max for $150.00
    No doubt there are better cameras but like already stated anything over 3 megapixels really does not matter for what you and I will be doing. Mine came with the Tv and computer hookup which is standard no biggie there. I would also pick up a battery charger and around Christmas wallyworld had them for under 20 bucks with 4 batteries included. Pick up another 4 and your good to go. I also picked up another 128MB card too...
    You can read the instructions and let me know where you need help...

10. I know that I don't need over 3 mega pixel as my current digital was 2.1 and did a fine job up to 5x7. I'm not worried about the Cannon symbols for me, but the Warden needs point and shoot. :rolleyes: I also want AA battery capability which both the Cannon and HP have. Cannon is $20 more and has no internal memory but I don't feel either of those points make it less desireable. I just dont know how much experience HP has in the camera field or if they even make it. :confused:
    Thanks for the comments so far and I'll welcome additional ones too. :)

11. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Ron,

I purchased the Olympus Stylus 410 after a long and detailed search. Steve's digicam is great website to research camera's

This camera has 4 megapixels , but I'll probably never need that many.

The number one decison for me was that this camera is waterproof, or at least as waterproof as a camera like these can be. I needed that feature with what I do with this camera. This camera stays in the boat and stands a real good chance of getting wet on Erie as you full well know.

What happened to the camera that you used to have??

12. I dropped the Vivitar! Nuff said on that one.
    The selector switch on the Toshiba is bad and they want $125 plus shipping to repair it. Needless to say, I can get a new one for another $75 that is more compact and has additional features.

13. One thing to make sure of is even if a camera says it has a certain feature that feature may not be up to par with other cameras in the same class or of course above...
    Places like Dodd Camera and Video can help you allot in those areas... Call ask them and others about a couple cameras you may be thinking about and along with these comments make a educated conclusion...
    I was torn between a Cannon, Sony and a Olympus then they steered me to the Cannon that was on sale... That said each one has its own unique feature that just may be what your looking for...

14. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I have the Cannon A-75 and it's a great camera for the price. Advantages over a Sony. Cannon uses compact flash card. Sony uses the memory stick. Sony gets a kickback for each memory stick sold so they are alot more expensive than a normal sd, mmc or cf card. Sony uses a battery pack Cannon uses AA batteries.
    A 1 gig compact flash card will run you about $70. I filled it up many times taking pictures this past winter.
    The Cannon video mode has sound and its picture quality blows away the Nikon and HP video modes.
    I really like the Sony quality but the price of the accessories and the battery pack turned me off.
    Most important, I dropped my 3 times this winter on concrete and other than a few scratches, it works fine.

15. My kids dropped mine several times (not concrete) and it works just fine too...
    I like my A75 too...

16. I have a Samsung digimax 301 from Wallmart $120. easy to use.I take all my pics with it.

17. All pix I have here were taken with a Nikon 3200. Could probably dig one up for 199.

Takes great pix though, and easy to operate, easy to upload.