close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Digital Camera Advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Orlando, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I'm looking to buy a digital camera for my daughters 20th birthday. Looking for something easy to use and durable. Can I get something good for $200.00 or less? Thanks guys

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I'm sure there is. You might want to do some research on some of the camera sites. I know you want one that comes with rechargable batteries and at least 2-3 mega pixals. I prefer Sony, but there's a whole bunch of real good cameras availible today.
    I think it's called Steve's something(digital ?) that runs some comparasions.

3. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

What are you looing to do with it? I have a Olympus that I love. The best thing about Olympus is the 10x Optical, the highest you can buy for the money. Digital zoom really is not that important since you can zoom and crop with a simple software program for editing. The best thing to do is get the highest optical zoom you can afford. Don't get caught up in the MP, it is very hard to find a application that needs more than 3.2 I went from a $800 Sony with 6mp Down to my 3.2 mp and have done some great work with it, without regretting it a single time. I'm sure you will receive alot advice on what to get but the most basic important thing is the Optical zoom. BTW it took me 3 months to decide on mine, good luck. lol I would highly suggest getting the issue of Consumers Digest that is on Digital Cameras, it helped sway me in the one I bought.

4. mrfishohio

There's a big bunch of baloney over mega pixals, unless you are making posters, 2-3 megs are more than needed. I shoot most all mine in 960 x 1280 size and will still print nice on an 11 x 8 sheet of paper. Technology is ever changing, so that's why you need current surveys.
    Anyway, I'm sure you will find a great one in your range.
    Here's that site I was telling you about.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm

5. fishinrudy

fishinrudy Part time fisherman

I don't think you can go wrong with an Olympus or Nikon. Both use quality lenses. Both can be had for $200 or less with 3.2 MP and with a 3X optical zoom. This is all you need to print a very stellar 8X10. Look at officemax and Staples. They always have rebates and sales on these models. I have one of each. I had the Olympus first. The only reason I didn't buy it for my second camera is that they were out of the one I wanted, and the NIkon had a better deal on it. Both take equally great pictures.

6. fishinrudy

fishinrudy Part time fisherman

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Niko...sem/rpsm/oid/118189/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

This would make a nice camera. Also watch out for those camera w/out viewfinders. That LCD screen chews up battery life. Turn off the LCD and use the viewfinder. If you are not sure, hit the review picture button to find out if your picture turned out the way you wanted it.

Speaking of batteries. DIGITAL Concepts brand is awesome. You can pick up the batteries, the charger and car adapter in one package. I use these for my home inspection business camera. I keep a fresh set charging in the truck just in case.

I would stay away from cameras with proprietary batteries; always expensive to replace.

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

go to walmart and get a decent Olympus for under 200

8. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I recently got a Olympus Stylus Verve 4.0 MP All Weather Camera, Its a Super Camera for the Money. It was a great Gift.

I had a Ricoh 300DZ for 5 years, I had $500 in it & its still taking good pics, If I were going to buy one I would buy The New Ricoh Camera, For the Money you cant go wrong. They are very, very Reliable !!
    Cat Mazter

9. mrfishohio

Proprietary batteries came in my Sony & I've had it since Jan '03 or Dec of '02 I shoot at least 200-300 pictures a week (sometimes 500-600) and it does video up to the amount of storage. I have 2 sticks with 128 mb each. I can shoot over 200 pictures at 960 x 1280 size and some video too...maybe 10 minutes' worth. Anyway, I've never had to replace the battery, I was going to get one, but I've only run out of power once. A spare is about $50.00 but much less on eBay. I also leave my LCD screen on the whole time too.
    That's why I use a Sony, I still have my MVC-fd81 and works okay(purchased in Mar,1999) I'm using a DSC-S85 now. Other than upgrading from the standard 16mb stick to a 128 mb stick ($20.00 on eBay) I've not had any problems.

10. mrfishohio

Went to Sony's site & I'm going to have to spend $500 on a new camera...12x optical zoom... :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

It has everything I didn't even know I wanted.... ;)
    Link to my "next " camera ! (click)