Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I will be building or buying (cheap) a deer blind to be used in a fairly urban setting this archery season.

I would prefer building something non-permenant. Preferably out of burlap or tarp. Anyone have any experience doing this? Protection from rain/wind/snow would be nice...but not manditory.

I wouldnt mind buying a used or crappy blind, due to the fact that it would probably be stolen at some point.

Thank you for any ideas!

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you're worried about it being taken, I would make a ground blind from branches, deadfall,ect. and bring a small, comfortable folding chair when you go out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I bought an Ameristep Doghouse at Dick's about 5 years ago for 39.00 (after coupon).....they usually have a pretty good sale prior to the season on these. Great blind for the money.......have killed both turkey and deer out of it. Sets up in under a couple of minutes. Comes with a small back pack for transport. The only other thing I suggest getting is a comfortable collapsible chair to go with it.

Reasonably water resistant out of the box......although this last year in West Virginia I treated the roof with silicone....got it totally waterproof.... and found it partially collapsed after a heavy nights rain.

Good luck

Rich

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have the doghouse and don't really like it. It really stands out. I bought an avery Fast-break ground blind from Cabelas and I like it much better, although, there is no top to it. it allows me to sit against a tree and still give me good concealment.
Also, doghouse has a wide footprint, so you really have to clear the ground within it.
I use the doghouse if I am gun hunting and sitting on the edge of a field or place where I can get a quick, long distance shot.
ski

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
also, the avery blind rolls up very easily and can be packed easily. The doghouse, although it packs into a backpack, can be a pain to take down and carry in and out when you have another backpack.
ski

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
ya i used my dog house blind last year and i can say i dont really like it. now it serves as a changing room at camp. i went back to where started. building a blind outfallen timber. im gonna build two or three this year.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I also have an Ameristep Doghouse ,works great in an urban setting,the deer notice it more than turks though so brush it in as best u can.I think it is great for turkeys ;)heck I don't think my G son would have ever got a turk if not for it (can't sit still) LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts