close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Car Help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by olwhitee, Jul 3, 2004.

1. I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra, which just started ticking. I am almost positive that it is the lifters, due to low oil. (wife's car lol)

I changed the oil, but it still ticks. I have not drove it at all, just started it after adding new oil. I suspect that I just have to drive it for a while for the lifters to stock ticking, am I right?

Next problem, this one is my bad.

I spilled a bit of oil when adding, so I decided to spray some degreaser on the engine and spray it down with the hose. Well the engine is nice and clean but now my car is not functioning properly. It shakes when I hit the gas. The engine light came on as well.

I am sitting here now hoping that if I let the car dry it will work again......any suggestions or solutions other then going to the service station.

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I would let it dry for awhile and try agin, it has happened to me..You may try an additive that quites noisy lifters.

3. YUP :D What he said...

4. OK, just tried it. It seems to run better, still knocks a bit, but the engine light is still on.

I think I am gonna take it in to have it looked at, we only have 800 miles left on the warranty, so I think it would be best to have it gone over one last time.

5. WOW ... Take her in now...800 miles will go quickly!!!

6. Two things. First the lifter will probably not stop ticking completely. Second, when you sprayed the degreaser on the engine did you hit the sparkplug wires? or get it near the air intake? If so you may have caused your wires to 'bleed" electricity, basically broken the sealing coating on the wires so that spark jumps from one to another. Some of the degreasers are very caustic and could harm the wires. OR you got a little degreaser into the air intake and it caused your air flow sensor or map sensor to bug out a little. If you take your negative cable off the battery and leave it off for about 10 minutes then hook it back up, your computer should reset and lose the old warnings that are causing the engine light to be on. Your engine light doesnt always mean there is a current problem, just that a problem has occurred and may need tested. Warning codes can be retrieved to tell you what the problem was before you take off the negative battery cable.
    Huntinbull

7. Thanks, I bet thats what happened because it runs good now. The ticking stopped thankfully.

I think I am still going to take it in with the light on and act like I dont know what happened. Hopefully they will check out the engine and catch any other issues that the engine might have before the warranty runs out....only got 800 miles to go so I think I should have one last lookover before going off the deep end.

I appreciate all the help guys.

8. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

The car shaking sounds a lot like a "miss" to me....if that happens again (if it was my car) Id change all the plugs and wires. (One at a time to make sure youre not crossing any wires) Its not hard. (relatively speaking)

But it was probably just the water that screwed up the spark current.

My 94 Olds Cutlass had a sticky lifter that ticked until the engine warmed up....that was for about the last 80,000 of the 180,000 miles I got out of it....
    never really bothered anything.

NOT that Im any kind of car expert....good luck with it....