Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking forward to hitting Erie tomorrow morning. I think I'll try to get out off Kelly's island and drag some harnesses.

Can anyone recommend the closest ramp please? We're coming from NE Indiana. I'm familiar with Fenwick but our boat is just a 17.5'er so the closer we can start - the better!

Thanks and good luck. Will post report when we get back.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Use the Catawba public launch and head northeast; not a bad ride from there and you will have access to lots of areas from the ramp location.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fish'n Fool. I was just putting my plan together. I hear the fish are out west of S. Bass.

I used that ramp when we went out for some ice fishing in March. It looked like a good place to get started. Is there a launch fee?

·
Registered
21 Posts
there is no ramp fee at catawaba , but I would reccommend another 10 minutes in the truck and launch at Mazuric access, nice ramps no fee and much closer to kelly's. Go further east on 163 towards Marblehead and follow signs, (left at windjammers restaurant towards Lakeside) Friday won't be too bad but the weekend is crazy! Good luck ollie

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gut Hook,

What time are you going out tomorrow? I should be out that way tomorrow also.
Hey Rutty. We will be leaving Indiana around 5:30 am - so hope to hit the launch at 8:30 maybe? Or 9? We'll be looking for a bait shop around there to pick up some worms and add to the harness collection.

What time are you heading out?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I agree with Ollie. If you are strictly fishing Kellys and north launch at Mazurik State Launch. If you are doing Bass Islands/Green, 'Snake go from Catawba Island State Park Launch. Bob K and I will be at one or the other tommorrow morning 'bout when our dead butts get there!

Tim

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep going back and forth on where I want to fish. We're going to be dragging crawler harnesses so I guess either location should be fine. I'm hearing we should hit either West of S. Bass or maybe S/SW of Kelly's. The shorter boat run if we decide to hit Kelley's Island sounds like a good bet though. Is there a bait shop nearby?

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
630 Posts
There is a good bait shop just north of 163 on 53. Forget the name. That is where I usually stop at. Brothers and I will be launching from Catawba about 7-730am. Heading west of S. Bass. Where going to try some trolling, then BB and harnesses if that don't get them going. Give me a shout out there and I'll let you know whats going/not going for use.

Larry
Spoonfeeder 69/78

Hey Rutty. We will be leaving Indiana around 5:30 am - so hope to hit the launch at 8:30 maybe? Or 9? We'll be looking for a bait shop around there to pick up some worms and add to the harness collection.

What time are you heading out?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Rickards Bait store is on the corner of 163 and 53. There is another Rickards at the corner of 163 and 269. And if your heading out to Mazuriks, you can stop at Hy-Way Bait on 163. Good luck! If you decide on fishing Kelly's Island area, I would lean towards Mazuricks too. But it's six of one and a half dozen of another around here on the weekends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts