close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Big Walnut/Alum Creek Info Plz

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Pharley, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

I will be in Cardington this evening, and all day tomorrow. Wondering if anyone has any experience fishing in these areas:

*Big Walnut Creek, north of Sunbury, possibly around Marengo or Pagetown
    *Alum Creek, heading north, from West Liberty up to Mt Gilead
    *It looks as if the Kokosing River also flows through Chesterville, which is also in driving range....any info on this stretch around Chesterville?

Thanks for any info on these stretches. Would also like to kow if they're wadable.

Rob

2. LFN

LFN

I've caught smallies reight in the river in Cardington
    Lou

3. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Yea, that "river" through downtown is full of 6" crappies and 10" bass! I know the Big Walnut, Alum, and Kokosing are close by and will produce some bigger fish, and hopefully a couple 'eyes.

4. Rob
    That creek that flows through Cardington is called Whetstone Creek.It's not too bad if you fish it off of Rt.42 between Cardington and Mt.Gilead.The upper reaches of the Kokosing River does offer much better fishing.One nice stretch(although it's small water),start at the bridge on Rt.314 by Chesterville and work your way upstream.There's some nice smallies along through there.Another good one,take Rt.314 into Chesterville and turn right onto Rt.95,then take a right off of Rt.95 at the first road you come to.Pretty decent water down in there also.As far as the upper Big Walnut,follow Rt.61 down that way,and make a left on Monkey Hollow Rd.I've taken some real nice bass down that way.Hope this helps you out,good luck,and post your results.

5. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

I didnt go far today, I stayed in Cardington and fished above the dam off 42 (by the Duke Station). Did pretty good under the bridge while the sun was going down, and around the overhanging trees. Only ended up with 3 bass, all caught on 1/16" orange jig w/2" twisters. Biggest only 13". Caught an enormous bluegill on a twister, only 8", but the fattest I have seen. Also caught 8-10 small crappie, most coming on a shallow riding 2" Rapala minnow. not a bad night, I didnt expect to catch much, let alone anything with size. Tried 4" bungee worms, tubes, and 3" and 4" twisters, but nothing would take the larger bait. Anyone interested in bluegill, I'm sure there could be many taken there.

RW....
    I may try the Chesterville area in the morning, and I am thinking about hitting a couple spots off Rt 13. I learned of a few good spots off 13 from someone. :D I'll post results, hopefully I get into some smallies.

RW....
    By the way, how is the stretch of river that connects Clear Fork and Pleasant Hill (Clear Fork River?), and the stretch that connects Pleasant Hill to Charles Mill (Black Fork?)? Are these rivers wadable through there? Do saugeye and Muskie "escape" into these rivers, and can they be had there? If you have any good info on these stretches, could you drop me a PM? Thanks.
    Rob

6. The Clear Fork is easily wadable from the village of Bellville down to almost Pleasant Hill Lake.There's not a whole lot of bass in there though.That entire stretch is managed for trout,and there's a lot of them.Some of the stretches through there are flies only.From Gatton Rocks down to the Bunker Hill Rd.bridge the deeper pools contain not only big trout,but I get some huge saugeye's out of there at times,and it's also the best place to find bass.
    On the Black Fork,there really is no wadable stretch from C.Mill downstream to the Rocky Fork.It's better suited for a float trip,although the only fish species at this time of year in there would most likely be catfish and carp.
    Yeah,I hit the Kokosing along Rt.13 all the time.I know some super spots on that river on all 3 branches.Don't forget to make a few casts below the dam on Kokosing Res.From the dam down to the bridge can offer up some damn good bassin',it's real shallow,so use your floating rapala.Let me know how you do.

7. Almost forgot to answer your other question.The Clear Fork Creek does contain some muskies pretty much from Lexington all the way down to P.Hill Lake.In early spring,a lot of guys fish for them in deep pools between Lexington and the dam at Clear Fork Lake.They're pretty scattered throughout the creek at this time.A couple weeks ago,I was down around the area where Rt.95 crosses the creek by Butler doing a little trout fishing.I spotted a large musky sunning himself next to a log.If I was going to try for muskies in there,I would locate a long deep pool that has a lot of brush.The pool under the Rt.95 bridge in Butler is such a place,as is the pool under the Bunker Hill Rd. bridge.People do catch them from both spots.

8. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

actually ive caught some huge bass in clear fork creek. never can get em on artificial, have to use hellgramites, fish are more in the rapids instead of the pools.

9. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

at least i think its clear fork crrek, does look like trout water, theres a primitive camp area along river by a covered bridge? near juvenile jail area?

10. Striperfreak
    Yeah,that's called Clear Fork Creek down in there,a lot of people call it the Mohican River though.You're fishing below Pleasant Hill dam,sounds like you were also below the covered bridge.In my earlier post,I was referring to the creek well above Pleasant Hill Lake.You're right,down below the dam there's some real good smallies,and there is a lot of trout also.I have on occasion used live bait also and did well,used to use a 1/8oz.fireball jig tipped with a leech,and would tear up the bass and every so often a nice saugeye would smack it too.I used to start at the modern campground at Rts.3 and 97,and wade upstream to the primitive campground below the covered bridge-a lot of good water in there.