close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishintiger, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Being the person I am I feel bad for those that are less fortunate than I am. On my way home from work the last month or two I have seen this gentleman sitting on a bench along the Scioto River or the Olentangy which ever on runs along Civic Center Drive and COSI. The other day I noticed he didn't have any shoes. Would it be wrong for me to get him a pair of shoes? I'm not sure if he would be greatful for them or if he would be mad. This time of year it sucks seeing people that are down on their luck. There have been a couple of days that I wanted to pick him up and just take him somewhere warm because I was freezing just walking out to the parking lot from my office and he has been outside all day so I know he has to be cold. What do you all think?

2. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Man your heart is in the right place, offer him a pair of shoes. If he refuses that is his choice. Throw in a pair of socks and you will have a friend forever!!

3. That's what I was thinking. A nice warm pair of wool socks and a pair of shoes. It can only make his Christmas better.

4. It would be a great gesture on your part to offer him some shoes and socks. It will leave you with a warm feeling and probably mean the world to him. They used to do collections for winter clothes for homeless shelters in Columbus. (I don't live there, but remember hearing about it) Hopefully that still goes on. But a direct gift like that would allow you to see the joy and gratitude first hand. Let us know how it goes.

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i gave a guy some brand new insulated leather work gloves (free to me from the boss) and he was happy as hell about it..this guy was in a pile of rags, and cardboard, etc.....just be careful....people who end up like that usually have a mental reason for being that way, not to say anything bad about a guy ive never met, but, ya know...get ready to run just in case.

gestures like yours keep my faith in the human race.

6. Amen to that.;)

Hardwaterfan is right though about being careful. You just don't know what may set guys off at times.

7. catking

catking Banned

Hey 'tiger. Let us know what happens...... ;) CATKING

8. Even though I'm one of the nice people I have been screwed so many times. I have stopped on the side of the road to help a couple of people change a tire but heaven forbid someone stop the day I needed some help. I figure if I keep giving eventually someone will return the favor when I'm down or when I need a little help. I will let everyone know what happens. Do you think a size 10 shoe would work. I think that is about average.

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Some of the less fortunate down there make great company when you are fishing the river. Heck......some even fish with us now when we are down there. We've always made it a point to offer them some food, cigarettes...etc....and have made good friendships with them.

10. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Why not approach the fellow first and strike up a conversation to see if you can be of any assitance. That way, if the guy has his faculties, he'll be able to tell you what size shoe he wears and if he's even willing to let you help him. As mentioned before, DO exercise caution when talking with him until you're comfortable in his presence.
    You're a very generous person and I hope this works out for both you and him.

11. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

he might want a little bigger size for the several layers of socks that he should be wearing if hes living on the "streets".

theres no van down by the river is there? :D

jk....

about getting screwed over....thats life....at least you know what kind of person you are. you cant control anyone but yourself. i too have learned many "lessons".

12. Make sure that person knows where he can get help by looking up the places that will in that general area yourself... Give him a bus pass to get there or pay for the taxi... Toss in the shoes and GOD BLESS you for the effort...

13. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

As long as you are careful, you should be O.K. When I was a teen ager and hitch-hiking(walking for lack of a ride) home from my now wife's house, I ended up walking up on an old bum also walking the same direction. It was around 1:00am and just after Christmas so I talked to him for a while. I noticed his hands were covered in rags and offered him my brand new black leather dress gloves that were rabbit fur lined. He accepted them and shortly we parted company. The weird part was that when I asked him where he was going he kept telling me the moon. :rolleyes: I reckoned maybe that was a Bar's name maybe?

My point is that you may have a memorable experience if you do this.

- Rumi

14. I really think that the smart thing for you to do is have someone with you at the time that you make him the offer. I am sure that someone would be more then glad to go along with you.
    Just a suggestion.
    Hapy Holiday to you and yours.
    Bill

15. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

every winter since i have met my wife we load up the car with blankets............we drive around downtown pittsburgh and look for people and we give them a blanket.........its not much but its our way of saying we havn,t forgotten you..........about 5 years ago while doing this on the southside i stopped for a pack of cigarettes and when i came out of the store a fellow asked if i could spare 1.89 .......he said that was enough for 2 hot dogs and a cup of coffee..........it was odd that he didn,t ask for 1.00 or 2.00 or 3.00 he asked for a 1.89 so i,m standing there looking dumb and saw a sign in the store window 2 hotdogs and a large coffee for a 1.89.....yeah he was down and out and at 1st i said to myself yeah right food......i give you the money and you run and buy a bottle of wine or something.......until i saw that sign..........i ended up giving him 20 dollars and shook his hand and told him to go get a good hot meal and what ever was left over go get your bottle and stay warm tonight.............nothing wrong with helping other people out who are down on there luck........if nothing else it makes you feel good inside and some of us need that.................... :cool:

16. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Need to be alot more people like you guys and the other great people that do for others. Sometimes we all get so wrapped up in our own little problems we don't stop and realize just how fortunate we are. We try to help others out when we can throught the year and holidays.

17. i have a brand new pair of size 12 work boots i wore one time and diddnt like..pm me your address and i'll send them to you

18. Thanks for all the kind words everyone. We dropped the shoes and socks off this morning. I wanted to wait a little later but the g/f had to do it this morning before she went to work. So at about 8 this morning we drove over to where he usually was and we didn't see him so we were going to wait until this afternoon to drop them off and we went a little farther up and there he was laying on a bench. He looked so peaceful. It kind of reminded me of the song "Almost Home". Well anyway I told her to just put the box by his shopping cart and we would go and not bother him. I put a note in there for him that said "From your Christmas Angels. Merry Christmas." She layed them by the cart and got back in the truck, closed the door and he woke up. I'm not sure if he was already awake or not but he sat up. So we put the window down, told him that we brought him a pair of shoes and socks. He grabbed the bag, looked at the shoes and socks. We asked him if they would be ok and he just shook his head. We said Merry Christmas and drove off and as we drove off my g/f looked behind us and he was putting the shoes on. He didn't say anything to us or even smile. I'm not sure if he was just kind of shocked and didn't know what to say or what. It made me feel a little better. I think I might stop sometime next week and see how things are going. Oh when we pulled up he did have a pair of shoes. They were penny loafers so I figure the shoes we bought him will be a little more comfortable to walk around in.

Velcro tennis shoes from Wal-Mart: $10
    Two pairs of thick wool socks: $7
    Letting someone know that there is someone out there that cares: PRICELESS

fishintiger

Merry Christmas to everyone.

19. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Fish, you get the good deed award this year. Nice jester man, I know you'll be blessed this year for you deed.

20. Dale is right! You deserve the good deed award. I am sure we have many others on this site that would do similar deeds and many who have but we just don't hear about them. Sharing this experience with us did not come across to me as a way to be recognized and applauded but rather for some guidance and support to follow your heart.

I hope that you and your g/f have a very happy Christmas as well.