close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice on a spinning reel!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Iron_Chef_CD, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

Hey guys,

Looking for a new spinning reel and not sure what to get. I looked on bass pro shops and they have them anywhere from 20$-600$. Now I'm not sure what a 600$ reel is going to do, I hope it would locate and catch fish for you while you drink beer but somehow I doubt it does.

Any ways, I have a shimano now with the quick cast lever and I like it but as the guy at gander mountain said they're doing away with the quick cast lever because it acts like a shock absorber when you set the hook. So what are your opinions on those and a good spinning reel between 50-100$?

Thanks for your help!

Iron Chef CD

2. Get a front drag standard bail Shimano in the $80 or above range. Don't know where you are located but if you are within an hours drive of Strongsville, Ohio, then go to the Rodmakers Shop where you can look, feel, touch and mount the reel on a rod plus beat the price of the mail order discount house or the discount stores on quality goods.

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Shimano's are nice. Stay away form any model with the quick cast. They won't have instant anti-reverse because the rotor must line up with the trigger for the cast. If a fish hits you on a retrieve, the rotor can rotate up to almost a full revolution. Therefore learn to use your finger to pick up the line and you will be comfortable using any spinning reel. I like the Stradic line, I am also partial to Fin Nor Mega Lite series reels too. They have an great drag system, but aren't quite as smooth as a shimano.

4. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

If you live close enough to Cincinnati, you can stop at Bass Pro Shop and play with the reels there. I bought my Mitchell Avocet G9000 with 8 bearings with anti-reverse for $40 from Bass Pro. Bass Pro has alot of reels out from the cheap ones to the expensive one for you to try and see if you like the way it feels.

5. Iron_Chef_CD

Yeah I was going to stay away from the quick cast this time around. It just made me lazy being able to cast it one handed :D

I do however like the rear mounted drag because of the ability to ajust on the fly. Any reasons to stay away from that? I noticed some reels have less bearings with the rear drag but have not heard of a specific reason not to have it.

Thanks for the advice guys!

6. There is no reason to adjust the drag when you have a fish on. Drag should be set below the line breaking point. I set mine so it slightly slips when I set the hook. If more drag is needed when fighting the fish you simply apply some pressure to the spool with your finger. You hear a lot about lines being broken, especially near the boat. That is usually due to a drag set too high which is increased by the friction of the guides on the shorter line. Learn to set the drag and "finger the spool edge" and you will be much more effective in tiring fish. Better to set the drag a little on the light side than on the heavy side.

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

A front drag is a better system. The drag is in the actual spool. With a rear drag, the drag is on the shaft towards the back of the reel, much smaller and more prone to failure...slipping/grabbing.
    Just like Shortdrift said, set it & forget it. Check it periodically as you fish, sometimes they tighten up or loosen up with heat & cold. So from a cool morning to a hot afternoon you'll notice a change in the setting. I have backed off the drag on my baitcasters with a big catfish on the line when I get them near the boat, but that's not necessary with a spinning reel. Keep the rod parallel to the water as the fish gets close to the boat so the rod will let take the shock of the last runs and the friction of the line in the guides won't be a factor.

8. If this reel will be on a specific rod, bring that rod with you to the store. That way you'll be able to experience first hand the feel of different reels on that particular fishin' pole. A balanced setup is nice to use ;) . IMHO the best fishing reel around $100.00 is the Quantum Catalyst.

9. Slikster

Slikster Shore Bound

I'm very fond of Quantum spinning reels myself. Specificly the Quantum Energy reels. That's all I've used for the last 12 years or so.

10. In the price range you mentioned,Shimano Symetre 2500FI is a good choice,and for a few bucks more,you could step up to a Shimano Stradic 2500MgF,a real fine choice.I would imagine that the $600.00 reel you're referring to would be the Shimano Stella,pricey,but well worth the bucks if you can do it-the Cadillac of spinning reels.

11. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Love the Shimano reels. I have 7 of the symetres and they are great. I use these all the time and use them hard. They have never let me down.
    Front drags are far more reliable and smoother than rear drags. Used rear drags for years till I finally tried a front drag and will never go back.
    Most if not all shimano reels have been redesigned for 2005. Just got a 4000FI and love it. Will be getting another soon. They are 80.00 in Cabelas.
    Hope this helps. Godd luck.

12. Iron_Chef_CD

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys. I've used a shimano for the past 15 years and have grown kind of partial to them. I think I will look into that qauntum and the symetre/stradic and go from there.

Again thanks for all the great advice!

13. I have a Quantum Energy PT and it is my favorite spinning reel. It has a magnetic bail. Wich is nice because it doesn't wear down. It also iliminates those casts were your bail closes and you watch your lure go sailing off of your line. It is a smooth reel. I think I bought mine for 130$

14. To add a little bit to the good advice you have recieved already:

1)I prefer the Shimano Stradic, but the Symetry is a good reel also.
    2)Front drag for the reasons MrFish gave.
    3)Get the small (1000) size reel for vertical jigging with superline. A couple of onces of weight makes a big difference after holding a rod (or 2) all day). You won't have problems with small spool line memory on superlines on tyhe 1000 reel, either. Also the 1000 size works great for lighter duty with mono (like a creek rod set-up).
    4) For casting heavier baits (I really wouldn't recommend a spinning reel for doing a lot of casting-but they are nice for night casting crankbaits) or for a set-up such as slip bobbers :G I'd recommend the 2500 or even the 4000 size. The larger spool works better with heavier mono (8, 10, or 12#..heavier for big cats, etc use the 4000) with less line memory and casts easier. The larger size has a larger drag for larger fish :B as well.

Hope this helps.

Tim

15. Your question regarding what a $600 reel will do for you? It will allow you to be short on cash for a while. :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

16. Well, I think everyone just about covered what I would say. :) I love Shimano's and probably won't have another type of reel unless I try someone else's brand by accident and happen to like it. :D Can't go wrong with the Symetre. I have 1 1500 and 3 2500s. I had a cheaper Shimano with Quikfire and a few Sedonas which were OK but there is a big difference IMO between those and the Symetre. Same thing happened with baitcasters before I finally broke down and bought a Curado 100 and a Clarus while in Cincy for training. Tried it out in my hotel room with a practice plug and went back the next day to get another one. :D Had to let the boss know what I did and get approval to go back and do more damage. :D