close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice from you carpenters out there and remodlers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish4Fun, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Ok I have a partially finished basement its a big rec room 2 walls are painted block and 2 walls are drywalled. I have new carpet down. I want to put in another wall that goes from one of the finished walls to one of the block walls. I don't want to tear up the new carpet. so how do i anchor the new wall to the floor without concerns of moister getting up threw my anchor bolts i put threw the carpet and into the concrete floor. I need some advice as i would like to do this next weekend. The ceiling is finished drywall.

2. I would cut a 3.5" strip out of the carpet and either use a ramset or tapcons to put the bottom plate down.

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

what all does the bottom plate consist of other than 2x4 and how do i keep the carpet in place after i cut it out. or maybe i could just have carpet installer come in and cut it out and put down tack strip and fix that part.

4. depending on the type of your carpet-it may be possible to anchor the sill plate on top of the carpet. i'd use tapcons to anchor it down. squirt some geocell or construction adhesive in the holes of the concrete before you insert the tapcons. cover the bottom of the sill plate with adhesive too. it wont solve all of your possible water problems, but it will help :cool:

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Jerry, the ram set is the way to go if you can get one. I have one if you need to borrow it. As for the carpet. If your going to do it right, I would either have the carpet guy do it or you can buy the strips and do it your self. The only thing having the carpet guy doing it is he can re-streatch it.

6. carpet glue has worked just fine in my trials but if the rest of it is streached you may want to go that route

7. Build it out of metal studs. Both Lows and Home Depot sell them now. Nail the bottom plate down with 1/2 inch Ramset pins right on top of the carpet. You don't need a gun to shoot them. A 24oz hammer will sink them. It will take you 1/2 the time to build it. A good tip is to put down some plastic first. When the project is done, you just cut the plastic at the bottom of the wall, roll up the plastic and the clean up is done. If you have any questions, just holler.

8. If the carpet is paded and streched. I would cut it down the middle of the new wall roll it back and put the wall in. have it tack stirped and streched when i'm done. If its a gule down instalation cut out the 3.5 in. strip and thats it. If you don't have water problems now don't go through the concrete with your anchors. If the wall fits firm between the floor joists and the basement floor you only have to go into the concrete about an 1" to 1 1/4" your not holding the wall down just stoping lateral movement. as others have said ram set, tap cons or plain old concrete nails will work.

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

ok thanks for the info keep it coming

The carpet is berber and is padded and stretched. I think i will just cut it then pay someone to come in put down tack strip and stretch it back in. I guess.

The water issue is a problem around hear i have 2 sump pumps in the basement i have only ever had any water in the finished part one time and that was just the floor a little damp around the outside edge and that was when both sump pumps failed in a very wet spring.

I wish there was a way to do it and leave the carpet in place but not sure it it will be ok to do that.

10. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

You could just put the wall over the carpet. Only problem would be removing it if you ever wanted to. The nail gun would go right through that carpet :D

11. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

hey f4f is you find good reasonable carpet guy let me know i havent tack or streached the carpet in my basement yet

12. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

ok tim i know a guy who uses a guy to do his carpet at his house i will get his number.

13. Doing the tack strips and stretching isn't a big deal. I would drill and plug the floor so you can nail the tack strips in rather than glue them......put the tack strips about a 1/2" away from the where the drywall will come down and rent a knee kicker to re-stretch the carpet. I believe you can rent a knee kicker from nations rent for $10-$15 per day. You can get tack strips pretty cheap at Lowe's....i think 12' for $1.98. If you do it.......just be sure to point the tacks away from the carpet.

14. and don't step on the tack strip!!!

very very very bloody mess, not the way to impress a new girl you just met (not that the snatch would know about that or anything :rolleyes: )

15. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

i have a seam that needs done in the middle of the room any info on that bottom?

16. I belive the only thing you can really do is tape it and bind it somehow. I'm not carpet guy

17. Is the seam coming apart, or are you installing new carpet?

18. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

You will need seam tape and a seam iron.
    Some Home Depots actually rent the irons,if you want to do the repair yourself..

19. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I'm a self employed flooring contractor, been in the buissness for 25 years. Heres my opinion. Since its a berber with pad and if it were mine I would cut the carpet in two down the middle were the wall will sit. Do the remodel then pay someone to stretch the carpet. I did say stretch not kick. Some so called professionals will swear that they can kick as hard as I can stretch but I'll wager $100.00 it isn't so. It isn't even recommended by the manufacturer to kick in a carpet. A kicker is a tool that is used with a stretcher to install the flooring. Any other question feel free to ask. Good luck

20. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

its is carpet i installed 2 years ago but never did the seam it has about a 5 inch overlap in the middle of the room...i never tacked it either just threw it down as a temperary solution .....well its still that way....someone told me if you dont know what your doin with the iron and cutting of the seam it will look like crap and start comin apart....im not that confident in my self