close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice from an electrician

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by archman, Jul 29, 2007.

1. We're looking to buy our first house. We found one that we like, but the wiring isn't up to code. It's been updated in the bathrooms and kitchen, but in the other 6 rooms it has it's original wiring from 1951. How much do you think this would cost us to fix? Also, do you think they would have to tear up walls in the house to fix the wiring?

2. Depends on the type of house. Ranch, not so bad, since you normally have access to walls from the basement and/or attic. Things get more difficult when getting into multiple floors. Also, what type of walls? if pre-drywall plaster/lath, things get even more difficult. With drywall, you have the ability to cut access holes where necessary when fishing new line. Not so easy with plaster.

In any case, try to see if the outer walls are insulated as well. I recently did some work on a newer (60s, I think) home and the homeowner was quite suprised to find that his house had nothing but air between the inner and outer wall. Made it easier to run cable/electric though.

3. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Pay someone to do a home inspection for you. It is highly recommended regardless of a used or new home. They will be able to tell you general prices for repairs. It will cost your around $250 for the home inspection, but it is money well spent.

flash----------------------------------------out

4. are right. You might want to get a hold of harry1, he is a licensed electrician. I'm sure he will give you an answer.

5. Also, ensure that they inspect everything and that you are present. Ask questions during the inspection - since he/she might give you some pointers on things not critical but should be improved. A good inspector will let you tag along while the inspection is happening. Another sign of a good inspector (or inspection company) is that they don't do repairs themselves. Some of these guys may try to make business out of an inspection result, instead of doing a unbiased inspection.

I know someone who didn't have the roof inspected because there was too much snow on it. They wanted to close on the house, so accepted the inspection as is. Turns out that a tree hit the house in the past, but a hole in the roof, and prior owner filled it up with some tar-type goop. Cost quite a bit to repair the roof and walls where the water damaged them from the inside, but couldn't get anything from the inspector since they signed off on it or from the prior owner since they "tried" to fix it.

6. Hey Dave, it's a colonial in Lyndhurst. The walls are drywall but I think the ceiling might be plaster. I don't know if the outside walls are insulated.

7. I just found out the walls are plaster.