close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need a tech

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Huntinbull, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Have most (if not all) the components needed for a decent computer, but need help putting them together.

I have:
    Tower, processor, power supply, cdrw, video card, ethernet card, hard drive, cd drive, dvd drive (should work) RAM memory, multiples of some pieces.

Need help getting it together. Anyone willing to help for a fee? Maybe take a look at the parts and tell me what i need?

I am in the akron area, so anyone within an hour or so, preferably with a fishing hole nearby (to justify the drive even further). Will bring my boat and take you fishing too!

Contact info in my profile.

Huntinbull

2. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I hope you just left it out, but you need a motherboard for all the components to plug in to.:p

Anyway, putting your computer together is not that hard. There is plenty of information on the web to help you out.

The 2 most important things to remember are:

1. Ground yourself to the computer case (metal part of course) anytime you work on it.

2. Make sure you use a good thermal paste such as Artic Silver when installing your processor to the motherboard. Just use a very thin layer of paste, I use a sandwich baggie over my hand to apply the paste. The oils from your finger will screw up the install!!

Always make sure your processor is properly lined up with the motherboard.

If your processor does not seat by itself, DO NOT try to force it down, you will break something!

I'm sure you already did this, but make sure your RAM is compatible with your motherboard. Not just the type, but the size of each stick per motherboard slot.

Wish I lived closer to you, I'd sure help you out but that's too far to drive from where I'm at.

3. Chuck, Thanks for the advice. I do have a motherboard, it is already attached to the processor. I have put it together and hoped for complete plug and play startup but keep getting error messages. Or it will start and then lock up after the initialization.
    \
    Currently have a 450mhz processor which I use for internet access (slow) and email, etc. Hate the constant freezeups and wanting more processor speed for games, etc. The processor i have on the new motherboard is a 2.1gig, have a 120gig hard-drive, cdrw and cdr drives, 128meg video card, etc. Seems like if I could get it together and working it would suit my needs fine, but the plug and play just didn't work, so i figure i need someone with more savvy than me. (Any savvy is more than me.)

HELP :(

Huntinbull

4. Chuck P.

First things first, are you absolutely sure the RAM is compatible with the motherboard?

And, are you absolutely sure the RAM is the correct size for the motherboard slot(s)?

If your processor is correct for the motherboard, and the RAM is 100% compatible, then I'd say change the small battery on the motherboard. A lot of people overlook that thing but they do cause problems.

Also, check the jumper on the motherboard and reset it. You should have instructions on how to do this in the motherboard paperwork.

Report back on how you're doing.

5. It is a miracle when the initial booting of a freshly built pc works.

6. Chuck P.

Isn't that the truth.