Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting together with a few other guys on Sunday to go perch fishing. It's been about 20 years or more since I've been out perchin' and just need pointed in the right direction as far as rigging up goes. Should I just be rigging up with perch/crappie rigs, use jigs, or try both? I was also planning on taking my light action rod, but I'm wondering if it will be too light.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Walleyerunner
578 Posts
Your light action pole will be fine. Use crappie rigs or spreaders I prefer gold spreaders myself from jann's netcraft. Cut your minnows in half and make sure there on the bottom. You can also lay them on the bottom with slack in the line for 5 sec then lift slow and set the hook. But again make sure your getting to the bottom or you will only catch junk fish. Leave the jigs at home you won't need them. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
florida ice fishing
14,056 Posts
another good idea for perchin is to use braid line. you can just feel so much more with braid over mono.
sherman

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be using both. My medium rods have braid and my light has 6# mono on it. I figured the light rod and line might make the perch a little more interesting, especially if I've got 2 on.

·
Tontogany1
89 Posts
Be careful - a big fat sheephead will snap that 6LB mono - an there's A LOT of em out there - LOL

·
Walleyerunner
578 Posts
I only use braided line not only because of the monster sheephead but also the sensitivity is way way better if there hitting light. I have caught a ton of huge sheephead this year the biggest going 29" on my light action st Croix. I don't know if I would have gotten him in on 6 lb mono. I use 10 lb power pro and its like 2 lb mono diameter love that stuff!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could always re-spool, but all I have is 20# braid at a 6# dia. and I'm not in the position to get anything else. I kinda wish I had a spare spool for this reel, maybe I'll have to try and order one.

·
Walleyerunner
578 Posts
If your only going this one trip I wouldn't go all crazy respooling your reels. For us that go every weekend its a little different. I know a lot of guys use 20lb or 30lb braid on there perch poles because they recycle it of there trolling poles. Its not cheap so anything you can do to save a buck is cool. If you wanted to try braid take the old off your medium action and respool that with fresh line and use the old braid on your perch rod.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good tip! I have plenty of room on my light reel too. I'll just use the line I have on there as backing and just adding my old braid over top. I even have a backup rod that I haven't re-spooled yet this year.

·
Walleyerunner
578 Posts
Let me know how you guys did on Sunday. We will be out there Sunday morning also around the intake or wards canal at first. If we can't find them in close we will head over to the gravel pit or west sister.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me know how you guys did on Sunday. We will be out there Sunday morning also around the intake or wards canal at first. If we can't find them in close we will head over to the gravel pit or west sister.
Will do. If you see a bunch of kayakers fishing, feel free to say hi. Just try not to swamp us with your wake, lol.

·
Walleyerunner
578 Posts
Where are you guys going out? If your going in kayaks be very careful it gets rough quick out there. I took the kids out today for about 10 mins and turned around because we got met with 4' waves at the mouth. I would have given it a shot if I didn't have a boat full of kids. I have a 25' sportcraft and was getting rocked. I didn't want the kids getting sea sick. Good luck tomorrow and be safe!

·
Walleyerunner
578 Posts
I will be heading out from meinke's myself so I will look for you guys out there. Hope this wind starts laying down soon.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well we paddled out to the intake today. Two guys did okay on perch, another caught a nice walleye trolling on the paddle back. My anchor couldn't keep me in one spot and some of the other guys were having the same issue. The one guy that actually took home fish had a big enough anchor to keep him in one spot. Fishing was pretty slow for me, but still had a good time on the lake. There was a down side though, I dumped my yak and lost a rod and some tackle. So if you happen to be over by the intake and snag a fenwick rod with a president reel, I wouldn't mind getting back. Despite going for a swim and losing a rod, it was a pretty good time, I'll have to try again after making a few modifications to the kayak.

Edit: the tackle box is a Plano 3700 box with mostly crank baits, if I remember correctly, and a small A rig. I'm sure there was a few other things in there too. Sorry, just realized which box it was.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts