close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need a little help here please......

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by eye4neye, Apr 26, 2004.

1. On My Old Johnson Sea Horse 9.9 Motor.it Is Really Nice Motor, Heck The Paint Isnt Even Off The Original Prop...cant Have Many Hrs On It....anyway, I Want To Know The Best Way To Tune Up This Engine And Set The High Speed And Low Speed Jets Without Doing This When I Get To The Ramp Or Lake...i Would Like To Have This Puppy Ready To Go When I Get There For The First Time, I Am Very Aprehensive About Going Out In The First Place Because I Havent Backed A Boat In , In About 8 Years, And Some Of The Stories I Have Read On The "other Site" Makes Me Even More Aprehensive About Going Out, Since I Dont Want To Hold Anyone Up At All....any Help Out There?---pleeeeeze.....feely Real Nervouse About The First Few Trips, In Fact The Boat Has Been Ready For 2 Weeks And I Have Not Taken It Out Just Becuase Of This Reason.......thanks Alot Folks...eye4neye(tony)

2. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Put that motor in a 55 gal. drum of water or a large trash can. Be careful not to blast the water out when you rev it up.

I've found that most people at the boat docks are very helpful. Sometimes nerves get frayed, and tempers can flare, but those people should stay home. I was at Hargus last year with my wife and when we got back to the dock a lady waiting on her husband to back the trailer in grabbed the line while we got out and then helped us get unloaded.

Try backing into your driveway or your garage or go to a shopping center and back into a spot till you get comfortable.

The main thing is to go. Good luck!

3. I am not a real veteran on any of this but I will throw in a few suggestions since I was in your shoes not too long ago.

First you can run the motor either in a barrel or with one of the ear flap deals that hook on the hose. I have heard that it is not a real good idea to run too much on one of those but I could be wrong. Anyway, you should be able to at least ensure that the motor is going to start and run at low rpm's. If it is in a barrel you can't really test high end either unless you have a one of the things that you put on in place of the prop or you will blow water everywhere.

What I do with mine are start them and idle them for a while in the barrel to clean out the fogger and anything that may have been in it for the winter. Then I will throttle it a few times to make sure it is responding. While it is running you want to make sure that you are getting a good stream of water coming out of the pee hole. If the water pump or impeller is bad you could blow the motor in a hurry. If all of this goes well, I would say your best test will be to get it in the water. If you are unsure of the motor running okay just stick close to the ramp.

As far as launching the boat, I would say that the horror stories that you read are worst case and if you do not hurry you will not be in any stories.;) The fact that you have read the stories indicates that you probably have made yourself aware of many of the pitfalls. Just take a buddy with you especially the first time or two. And if the buddy has any launching experience, it will go smoothly. Choose a pretty calm day for first trip as it will make the launching and loading much easier. TAKE YOUR TIME! Don't let anyone rush you into a mistake. I think most problems are a result of haste. I have only been doing the launch for about a year and a half now but I can now handle it by myself without a problem. My boat is a 16 foot sea nymph with floor in it so it is relatively heavy. Although if I am by myself I still avoid rush hour because it just takes longer for one person. I try to back the trailer pretty close to the walkout dock if you have one available. That makes it easy to push off and tie and if you are loading alone you can actually pull the boat up by hand pretty easily without having to run the boat up on by motor, provided the boat is not real heavy. Don't back the trailer in the water too far or it can make the loading much more difficult. Just back in far enough for the boat to slide up through the rear runners and winch it the rest of the way on. This will make it much easier to keep the boat straight on the trailer.

After doing it a few times it will become pretty easy. Good luck to you!

Oh, and one more thing. DON"T FORGET TO PUT THE PLUG IN BEFORE LAUNCHING!:D ;)

4. Ducknut

Ducknut Duck Enemy #1

Um, how bout the time I didnt set the clicker on the whinch and dropped the boat on the ramp, or the time me and my buddy backed all the way accross Alum because his boat was stuck in reverse, or the time I backed into the guide posts and smashed a tail-light, or the time I sunk my truck in three foot of water trying to get down to the river, or the time I let my girlfriend park the truck, to find the front three feet of the trailer twisted and warped, or the time I hit a bump while trailering, and lost the trailer, and sheared the wires...

We have all