Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
ol' pal Steve
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16’ boat. It’s a great vessel but I just don’t feel comfortable going out to 70’. I went last night out of Edgewater and went over to the Gold Coast. I tried some crawler harnesses and caught an eater on a transition from 20-30. The wind died and I tried on another transition with Vi-BEES and caught a couple short walleye and hooked a couple monsters that I never saw. The marks were incredible on every sharp transition. Once the sun went down I noticed that the marks were coming up off the bottom and they stopped hitting the Vi-BEE so I trolled for a couple of hours and had a couple pullbacks but didn’t land anything. I think there’s potential there without having to risk so much to get 15 miles North. I’m going to try it again later this week and I will share what I find.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
I have a 16’ boat. It’s a great vessel but I just don’t feel comfortable going out to 70’. I went last night out of Edgewater and went over to the Gold Coast. I tried some crawler harnesses and caught an eater on a transition from 20-30. The wind died and I tried on another transition with Vi-BEES and caught a couple short walleye and hooked a couple monsters that I never saw. The marks were incredible on every sharp transition. Once the sun went down I noticed that the marks were coming up off the bottom and they stopped hitting the Vi-BEE so I trolled for a couple of hours and had a couple pullbacks but didn’t land anything. I think there’s potential there without having to risk so much to get 15 miles North. I’m going to try it again later this week and I will share what I find.
Your monsters where more then likely sheephead , that can be a pain on vibrating lures. Keep working at it . You'll get it figured out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Talked to a DNR guy yesterday and he said he got reports of limits off of Lakewood in 20 ft. early morning best. I've never fished there be it seems to be a rocky shoreline to attract the bait fish and a point coming off the bay.

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,198 Posts
Something to keep in mind, there are always fish in close. The big secret at lake Erie is you don't need to run off shore to catch walleye. There always fish relating to inshore stucture, you gotta work for them, but they are there. Trolling will allow you to cover a bunch of water an learn the area you are fishing, then get a few pods of fish marked and then come back and work them over with other techniques. Good luck, and be safe.

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,643 Posts
Yo Steve-o, bust out those big jiggin raps on 12lb mono with a barrel swivel. Pitch them into those areas where you see big marks on the graph. Let it hit bottom, pop pop, hold your rod high as your watching slack line till it hits bottom. Pop pop, figure out the cadence and hold on! It’s been money in right against sand to rock transitions. Or deep drops off. Trust your graph and work that structure homeboyyyyy! Lol, it’s been so much fun doing this as you’ll catch anything that can choke that bait. I literally just bought another 15 shiver minnows and a bunch more snap raps. Good luck and give this technique a chance

·
ol' pal Steve
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for so many positive comments! I was pretty sure they were sheepshead but I also had a friend get a 32 1/4 walleye in there so my imagination runs wild. I’ve personally caught at least 6 walleye over 30” in that area but I have been stuck on trolling and I need to diversify. I’m also mapping the entire area on my Garmin and I always upload my QuickDraw contours anyone can get them on the Garmin site for free

·
Registered
84 Posts
View attachment 372755
This was caught in my boat last summer right in front of Edgewater Beach
Last Saturday am Alumadude and I went to 25' off Euclid to target drum for sport. Used medium tackle and had my old mosquito lake bag full of old goodies. Had a blast. No cats. 2 nice fat 23" walleyes. They ended up in the frying pan that afternoon. It was a nice break from trolling. Next time taking a few youngsters out there for the thrill of catching.

·
Bud n Burgers
2,542 Posts
A guy reported in another Erie thread that he boated 10 keeper eyes in 12'-24' of water in Huron, just west of the river, this past weekend. I believe he said was trolling unassisted Bandits. That is certainly doable in a boat your size, and is about 25 miles closer in than I went out of the same river, only catching nine.

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,643 Posts
Fish Bass Barramundi Fish Bony-fish
Yeah those big ass drum hit at night too. I mean it’s crazy how hard they slam baits and they just pull like a train. Catching drum is actually a lot of fun and that fish deserves more credit and respect. This one here probably went over 8lbs. Crushed a p10 Marvin. Boated a handful of them that night casting for eyes. They definitely keep ya focused and alert lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
They are a blast if I'm not fishing to fill freezer I'd love to catch them all day. When I was a kid me and my brother used to fish on the Sandusky river at my grandpa's cottage for them and cats. This is after going on his boat and walleye fishing all day. The good old days in the early 80s

·
Registered
84 Posts
Back in the party days used to take smaller drum in colder water. Fillet them out. Boil in beer for 4 minutes. Set on paper towels to drain and cool. Eat with cocktail sauce. Poor mans lobster! There never was leftovers and fed a lot of people. Haven't done in years but I liked it then. So did everyone else! Maybe I was crazy then

·
OhioPro Lure
531 Posts
Back in the party days used to take smaller drum in colder water. Fillet them out. Boil in beer for 4 minutes. Set on paper towels to drain and cool. Eat with cocktail sauce. Poor mans lobster! There never was leftovers and fed a lot of people. Haven't done in years but I liked it then. So did everyone else! Maybe I was crazy then
Yep have done this also many years ago. My uncle did this for us one time and was not bad

·
Registered
353 Posts
hey foatsboat maybe we should have kept a few of those sheeps for you to eat. think I will stick to the walleye

·
ol' pal Steve
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saltwater drum is crazy good. Delicious firm mild meat, I had a friend called it “Inshore Grouper”

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Ya I've been tempted to keep drum but read that recommended consumption for drum from lake erie was once a month. It was also once a month for steelhead.
I would have thought the recommended consumption for Drum was once in a lifetime. Once you had it, you wouldn't want it again!

Seriously, my old neighbor swore it made a great chowder. Never tried it myself.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Drum...Lake Erie lobster recipe: fillet out only the backstraps (tail meat has too much red meat), cut into cubes, boil it for a few minutes in 7-up soda, remove to an ice bath immediately, serve with melted butter !!! It has a lobster-like consistency !!!
It's not bad really

1 - 20 of 44 Posts