Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I actually fished on 7-13 also but Saturday was basically a trash fish bust. The wind from the east was much worse than originally forecast making pretty big waves which forced us to fish west of Kelley's in a more protected area. We just could not get out to where we wanted to go.

Mother Erie was kind to us on Sun/Mon. My son came down from Holt, MI to join us for the two days and we limited with 18 nice walleyes on Sunday and would have had a limit on Monday if we hadn't lost a few, two of which right at the back of the boat to be seen, so we know they were 'eyes. Since we had a drive home to do that afternoon, our quitting time was 2 PM EDT and we ended with 16. Sunday we had two fish over 7#. Quality of the fish was nice though not tournament worthy, averaging about 3#. We started Sunday fishing west of Rattlesnake but by 11 AM only had five walleyes and they were barely larger than 15". We decided at that point to make the run east over to the east end of Kelley's Island Shoal. Once we had moved, it was a better bite and better fish. Added 13 more, including the two 7 pounders. Monday was basically a repeat of Sunday's program.

#5 and #6 Indiana blade (silver, gold, and chartreuse) harnesses behind 2 oz inlines mostly 45' behind planers on the two outside lines on each side and a 3 oz bottom bouncer over the side on each side out 55-60'. We tried a harness high, a 1 oz inline trolling weight at only 25' back but the deeper ones were getting the fish. Took the 1 oz off and switched to another 2 at the same set back as the other three. Speed generally around 1.5 up to 1.8 mph with some s curves at times. We pretty much stayed in water around 35' deep and our trolling run was limited to the eastern half mile along the north side of the shoal to the green can, content to go back and forth with a steady pick of fish. Trash not too bad, only one sheephead on Monday, and a few white perch and white bass.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Very nice report! Thank you, I am thinking of giving this area a try tomorrow. I have not trolled in a few weeks, I've been chasing perch but need to get out the trolling sticks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't be afraid to try it out about 1-2 miles ENE of the Eastern edge of the shoal. Look for 42-48 feet of water. That area had some awesome fish in it when we were out there last. We started by working the Northern edge of the shoal and did ok, however, we noticed a number of boats were ending their passes where we were starting ours. Decided to give it a shot and it was very good. Several over 8 lbs. Worth checking anyway. We have also done very well in that same area, only another 3-5 miles further East. One night we just kept trolling E and kept catching them so we didn't turn around. Ended up about 12 miles NE of Kelley's and about 1-2 miles S of the CAN border. Good luck!

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
630 Posts
There is a very large school of fish east of the shoule along the line. Also as far south as the 38.5/35.5 area. Early bite for the bigger fish then slows down and smaller around 9-10am. 40 TT back 80 with spoons gave early boat limits out there all last week. Harnesses working good also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pooh Bear had been in that area, 1-2 miles ENE of the east end of the shoal same time on Monday and had a limit by 10 in the morning. The walleyes further east were probably a better quality than right along the shoal but when you are catching fish it's hard to leave them. I guess we were content with the size we were catching and my brother was doing the steering.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the reports.The wife and I are coming up sat. for the week staying on Marblehead,that area sounds doable (18 ft. boat).My wife caught her p.b. 30.5in 10#7oz 2years ago in that same area,there were nets there at that time ,last week in July.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This particular area is usually really good first couple weeks of June but I have fished it in June, July, August, September, and October. Only on a couple occasions have I struggled. I choose the east end of the shoal on first day of fishing, after a long drive to get over there since I can get on the water earlier (Mazurik's), or on my last day at Erie because I have the drive home. Being July it was out of routine to not go over on our middle day of a three day weekend to Vermilion and then go out to the sand bar. I hadn't seen any reports of sand bar being on fire so decided against it. My brother and my son didn't complain. 34 walleyes in the two days the three of us were able to fish together was sufficient to feel that we were successful and I didn't feel bad about Saturday's bust because the waves were intolerable once you got north of Kelley's. My brother had back surgery many years ago and even though he healed, his back has been a source of pain if he experiences too much pounding. This trip was for relaxation and fun, not a case of wanting the hawgiest of the hawgs. My brother had a little discomfort after the three days but wasn't complaining and after a day of rest back home, he was back to normal. It was his boat and he drove so he had control. I was just happy to fish since my own boat is out of commission.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Breed I'd try that area, then if you can't get a bite going go west on the next day. There are fish west of the islands, we fished c can, up by the boarder northeast of middle sister, and up towards the boarder northeast of c can. Out of 4 fishing days -2 people- we had 2 that were good (near limits in a few hours) and 2 that were fair (3-4 fish in a few hours). Wish we tried the kellys bite.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
2,417 Posts
Fished that area solo sat pm (7/20). Pulled at ticket in 1 1/2 hrs. 18 to24 inches. Purple colorados 60 back on 3 oz @ 1.5 mph. 40 to 42 fow trolling from just east of can in a line SW towards KI point.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tried east off the green can sat.evening got 8 for 4 people in 4 hrs. .Sunday waves too big to go that far 4-5 footers.went to plan B at American eagle 4 man limit 16 -22 in 3 oz 30 back on harness orange and pink seemed best.Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Tried east off the green can sat.evening got 8 for 4 people in 4 hrs. .Sunday waves too big to go that far 4-5 footers.went to plan B at American eagle 4 man limit 16 -22 in 3 oz 30 back on harness orange and pink seemed best.Thanks for the tips.
Nice!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 12 of 12 Posts