close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NAV '05 virus updates problem

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Aug 9, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

virus defintions are dated 8-9-05, however, live update wants to download 8MB of virus defintions (!)

this has happened several times. i have already uninstalled and reinstalled nav, i have plenty of hard drive space, 14 GB total and 2 GB for the temp files. temp files are cleared. i have the latest live update program. (downloaded yesterday)

live update downloads the definitions but then says they cant be installed. click the link, ive done everything they (norton) suggests, to no avail.

yet the defs are dated as being up to date!

what the....

any ideas? should i turn off the antivirus before i download? im gonna have to turn my automatic live update off because it ties up my stinkin phone connection with this 8MB download every time i get online. its off for now.

as i said this is an ongoing thing for the last few months. do i have some kind of malicious program possibly that is screwing up the nav?

grrrr....

2. hardwaterfan

i just tried again....it says it cant download because of internal authentication error...blah blah blah...

so i run live update AGAIN... this time.....it says "all products are up to date :) "

next time i check it it will want to download the 8mb again. this is the problem.

automated support assistant finds no issues.

:mad:

3. hardwaterfan

i appreciate your input catfish, these computer problems can really be frustrating sometimes....ill post some results once i mess around with it again.

what gets me is they have a link to follow when theres a problem. sometimes the link is for different things! first it was for a new live update, then it was for a bunch of other stuff, then it was for a bunch of OTHER stuff....im just tired of playing "computer detective" tonight. :eek: usually i can figure this stuff out but not this problem. (so far ;) )

4. hardwaterfan

well i used intelligent updater and i have all the definitions up to 8-10-05 on my desktop so i guess im good but the stupid live update wants to reload the whole thing (8mb) every time i restart the computer. but if i click the defintions it reinstalls them and then live update says its ok. i did a scan after i installed the defs. and no threats are found. no more automatic live updates.... :( must be something is messed up in the registry?

i think this problem is beyond me, ive already reinstalled everything once and that didnt help. no big deal i guess hopefully when i get nav 2006 in Jan. (my subscription expires it will stop.

5. hardwaterfan

Norton utilities integrator found a problem with nav in the registry, it seems to be ok now (2 days) so ill turn auto live update back on i guess.

thanks to everyone who looked at this thread. i hope its fixed for good now.

6. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

Do you have the SP2 Update from Microsoft ? I have not had any Problems with NAV, I use it for everything, & all my Servers I Have set up & Take care of. Never ever had a Problem with it. Let me know if you didnt get the Problem worked out.
    Cat Mazter

7. hardwaterfan

nuts its wanting to download all the updates again. :rolleyes: it worked fine for a couple days... :confused:

i never had a problem with it before, until the last few months.

i dont know what the sp2 update is but there are two critical updates i need...going to download them now.

8. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

SP2 Update is an Update to Windows XP, You should also download the Security Center too. I havent had a Pop Up window in Years, & I havent had any Problems with NAV. I run the NAV 2003 System Securitys & Anti Virus, I dont get spam, virus's Or Pop up Windows at all. I also re-format once a year, That way I have everything running good always. If you need any Help , Just PM me.
    Cat Mazter

9. hardwaterfan

i am running windows 98.

i hadnt had a computer since i had my commodore 64 back in the 80's. :eek:

my tech-crazy brother in law gave is this "old" one when he got his new one.

so he set it up and all that....if i could, i would also start everything over from scratch every so often.

so the thing is, if i screw this thing up im ...well... i would have to get a new one. :D

its been GREAT for the last few (3) years, never really had any trouble with it. mostly its just for emailin and surfin. :) and sharin pics with the family and all that....and surfin fishin sites.

i love NAV, i have had the same results as you, except for this glitch, which im surprised no one else has experienced.

oh well, its ok...

thanks for your assistance. ;)

10. i have avg anti virus for free from grisoft.com and it updates automatic

11. Worse case scenario you can manually download the update you need.

http://www.symantec.com/downloads/

I had to do this once when NAV would keep downloading the same definition file over and over.

12. hardwaterfan

hey thats whats happening to me, how did you fix it? it keeps wanting to download the whole shebang every time i run live update. ive been usuing the intelligent updater so i have the whole def. file on my desktop.

13. I downloaded the new virus update manually. After i installed the update i downloaded it was all fixed.

14. hardwaterfan

ok, thanks for the come back. my problem persists.

15. If you have NAV on disk try uninstall and reinstalling. You'll just have to reboot a few time's so all the updates can take effect.