close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Native FishTank

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BornToFish, Aug 26, 2005.

1. BornToFish

BornToFish Smallmouth Rule

I recently started keeping a native fish tank stocked with local fish last year. I do alot of seining, and thought why not. There is alot of cool species out there. Some are hard to keep though. My pumpkinseed sunfish would rival any non-native species.

2. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Yea there are quite a few people on this board that do the same (a few have some exceptional setups!) - it can be fun and educational as well...

I have a 55gal and usually have 1 or 2 in it... I like the crappie & yellow perch combo the best- nice community fish that dont bother each other... it seems any bluegill species tends to make the tank chaos- even my largemouth and bullhead werent as aggressive.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I had gills and they didn't tear each other up. The problem was getting any dominant ones out of the tank before it got too bad. I'd end up with 2 or 3 of each variety and things were fine. I've had crayfish, bass, blugills, green sunfish, shiners and all have lived in harmony, happily ever after....the end.

4. Things that are "hard" to keep usually have a higher success rate if you get them when they are small. They will take to commercial foods alot better. Think of it like teaching and old dog new tricks. I know of many people and myself that have been able to keep harder species by catching them when they are 2" or less. This has proven successful for me in keeping shorthead, black, and river redhorse.

Right now I have a 55 gallon with Whitetail Shiner, Spotfin Shiner, Northern Studfish, Mountain Madtom, Banded Darter, Logperch, Gilt Darter, River Redhorse, and River Chub.

My 20 long has a TINY Rockbass, Orangethroat Darter, Southern Redbelly Dace, and Blacknose Dace.

Had a bunch more diversity in the 55 but a large rouge crawfish took them out while I was gone for a few days. I live in TN now too so I have alot more available to me to keep in total numbers of species and things that are listed in Ohio that aren't here :D

5. BornToFish

BornToFish Smallmouth Rule

Sounds like you have quite a setup. Alot of different species. I have a chestfreezer I stock with minnows for the fall/winter fishing season. I select any interesting species from there, and introduce them into my 29gal in the house. I was able to keep minnows for 7 months last fall-spring. Of course I lost some, but it's the longest I've ever kept them in 9 years of seining. Chestfreezers make excellent minnow tanks, especially if they still cool. Mine doesn't, but I don't need it in the summer anyways.