close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NASA Mapping Software

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimJC, Aug 16, 2005.

1. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I recently discovered (on another forum) some free mapping software produced by NASA. The software is called World Wind, and it works by layering different map types so that you can can quickly change between topo and aerial photo maps. It also allows you to input coordinates and search by place name.

I have been playing with it for a couple months now and it has prompted me to look at some new areas close by. I use it in conjunction with google's maps inf hybrid mode. This allows me to see the color photos and get directions to the location.

It might be time for some low impact commando fishing here soon.

Google Maps

NASA World Wind

Anyone know of any other mapping sources to check out?

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

OOOOOH Commando fishing!

Wish you were in northeast Ohio. I'd join you.

3. what is the commando fishing ?

try to download google earth - works faster then the google maps + some extra features.

4. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Thanks Leckig. I like the features of google earth better than the current stable version of world wind. Is there any way to view topographical maps on google earth.

Commando fishing could mean a couple things. First it could mean fishing while not wearing underwear. But... What I mean is that I want to sneak into some new bodies of water that I may not be able to get permission to fish. "never underestimate the sneakiness."

5. I'm not sure about the topo maps. Try all menus, there is some options there.

this commando fishing sounds like fun. I could take my paintball marker with me hehe :)