Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick my dog up next saturday, a brittany. i am getting a female and we havent decided on a name yet. i think it would be cool to name it after a bird, but i haven't found a cool name yet. I kinda like Riley or bailey too....

What kind of dog(s) do you have and what is their name?

·
Fish On!
411 Posts
After a bird would be a great choice. My brother had a lemon beagle named Birdy!

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Domino. 180 lb Great Dane mix. Rescued from neighbor that was neglecting him. Has diabetes, and is blind as a bat.

Gacy. named after John Wayne Gacy. Stray dog I rescued about twelve years ago.

Penny. Stray dog I rescued about ten years ago.

Clyde. Went home to be with the Lord one month ago after losing a battle with cancer.

When I first got him in '99

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
We have always had 2-3 Brits, all females. Several cats too. Not good with naming so when one moves on to the rainbow bridge, we name the new pup in her honor! Vet has fits with renaming so we actually have a Daisy II, Katie III, and Sammie II! Good naming Protocol actually is to name after a physical trait. White feet -Boots, spot on head -Spottie!, son had a cat with an eye removed -One Eye!! (I said we were bad with names!!) :D Probably not a good idea to name her after your mother -in -law (KATIEII!)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Grousey or Phez

We have had two dogs. A pekapoo name Pinker (wifes choice) and a Silky named Comet (wife and daughter love fullhouse)

Had a German Shepard growing up that I named Slash after Steelers QB Kordell Stewarts nick name, later regretted that decision.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
We've had 4-5 dogs, named them then later on renamed them. You get to know their personality and a you end up giving them some type of nick name that better fits them. We have a choco lab we rescued that was named Beatrice.. After few months wife calls her Beetle, and I call her Horse.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
We've had 4-5 dogs, named them then later on renamed them. You get to know their personality and a you end up giving them some type of nick name that better fits them. We have a choco lab we rescued that was named Beatrice.. After few months wife calls her Beetle, and I call her Horse.
Very true. My sister had a rot named Phoebe. This thing ate constantly and got way too fat. From then on everyone called her Beefy instead.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Quail.............

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have two female Beagles. One is Gracie, the other is Sugar. I have a male Beagle Chee wawa mix named Sonny. I told my Old Lady that I'm naming the next dog whether she likes it or not, and that dog will be named Cleatus!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I've had a German Shepard named Burley (so fitting). Best dog ever was a Rott named Benjerman "Ben" Von Roushe, (german bloodline; never allow a patent to help name your buddy!) Von Roushe meant something like with speed. Sure that dog COULD drag a stranger around the yard by their leg, and did just that once, but we referred to him as "Gental Ben" because of his demeanor. In hind sight I should have called him Rumble because of the extremely low gutteral growl/moan he would emit when he was happy and being petted......

I would suggest visiting the dog if you can and figuring out her personality. That will make naming the dog easier and more accurate.

PS- Do not allow someone else give a name you use without fully researching it! Someone I know had an Italian Greyhound and a mutual friend told her to call the dog "Deigo" and said it meant fast in italian. Well I was there about three months later, and this person was calling the dog in from the back yard. A screaming match started between this person and the neighbor next door. My friend could not understand why the neighbor HATED her dog so much and cursed her everytime the dog was out. I had to explain to her that the dogs name was the italian equivalent to the "N" word, and that the 70 yo neighbor- Mr. SPIGNELLI may have a reason to hate the dog afterall. Just sayin'

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
My dogs have always had several names, (only one registered) my Brit was Sassy and it fit although She was also called several other names depending on circumstances. My currant dog is Maxwell, aka mudbug. All of my dogs at one time or another answered to, A??hole and Sh**head. Lazy, Goofball, ruffneck, stinky, etc. are all common names my dogs have been called. I was named after a President although an actor at the time and if I ever get another dog it will be named after a president, or maybe a warrior hero. An Old Cowboy movie star might also work like Audrey or Murphy who was also the most decorated soldier in WWII. Check out "those old westerns" for some really good ideas.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.