close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Name that fish - please help :)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stephsgotbait, May 25, 2007.

1. Hi Friends,

Back again with another fish-to-identify plea. I actually have two photos, I'll upload another one in a second post so please check for that.

We caught what we assumed was a smallmouth bass last week. Yesterday, we caught another fish that also looks like a bass. However, this fish looked different than last week's catch. So...I'm stumped. Is this a bass? If so, what kind? This one was shiney green and smooth, unlike the one from last week. Are these two different types of bass, or different species alltogether?

I've been fishing for 3 weeks and LOVE it. Fishing fever! I really want to learn to identify my catches correctly...so sorry to bug you with this but I'm very grateful for your assistance.

I learned to use a mepps spinner last night...those things work great. What size do you recommend for panfish? 1,2,3 or 4s?

Thanks so much and TGIF! Steph

Attached Files:

2. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

that sure looks like a smallmouth to me.

their colors can be pretty varied. I've seen smallmouth that looked quite a bit like largemouth before. or at least they were quite a bit lighter than the typical smallie.

3. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

It looks like a smallmouth to me :)
    I bet he was fun to catch!

4. Thanks for your help! This "bass" looks different from the other one. Anyone have a guess what is what? :) THANKS! Steph

Attached Files:

5. Might be a Willow Bass. Check for a tooth patch on the tongue. I was catching them regularly on year in the Cuyahoga, but haven't seen one since.

6. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

Both look like smallies to me. Either way, they had to be fun to catch! ;)

Btw, what is a "willow bass", I'm guessing by the tooth patch on the tongue remark that they must be the same as spotted bass(?). Don't spots look more like largemouth than smallmouth?

7. RiverWader

RiverWader Cottontail Mafia

They both look like Smallies to me also , but the top pic is a little blurry

8. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Both are smallmouth.!%

9. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

i would go with SM's. but those are some funny looking SM's.

and keep on asking us. fun to see the pics and try to guess the fish.

Whats a Willow Bass?

10. Steph,

I will weigh in with the smallmouth of varing color theory. Fish have pigment in their skin that work much like the pupil of your eye responding to light. The cells in the pigment can be greatly affected by sunlight penetration, depth and clarity of the water, etc. This can cause different color variations.

A tip that might help for next time. Close the mouth of the bass, now imagine a line that runs from the top of the head down to the jaw in front of the eye. If the hinge of the mouth extends beyond that line under the eye it is a pretty good bet it's a large mouth. If the hinge ends right at the line or in that vacinity it is most likely a smallie.

Thus goes the biology lesson for tonight.......go forth and catch!

11. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

12. Both pics look like smallies to me!!

13. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

Both smallies no doubt. A spot looks like a largie with a broken lateral line and has a rough black spot on its tongue the size of a stamp or smaller. Never heard them called willow bass though?

Hey Steph since you're new a word of advice. When handlin a bass or crappie its easier and MUCH better for the fish to just handle them by holding them by their lower jaw like in the upper pic. When you hold them in your hand you take the slime off the fish and thats his immunity system. It leaves them exposed to bacteria and infection when its removed. As you may have noticed when you hold the bass this was its own weight kinda paralyzes the fish and he can't shake or jump or anything while you're removing the hook.:) . If you do have to grab their body its better to do so with a wet hand than a towel or dry hand as to not remove much slime.

14. Thanks everyone for helping me out again. Two smallies. Cool!

I appreciate the good advice. We know to hold it by the lip but the big one slipped and we grabbed it off the rocks before it could bang itself up. But it taught me the lesson that we should have a towel handy from now on. We don't want to de-slime the poor guys.

I also ordered a folding net and fingerless fishing gloves to use in the future! I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Thanks a bunch for sharing your expertise. I've already learned a lot in three weeks! You guys rock. Fish on!!! -Steph

15. vkutsch

vkutsch You scratched my anchor!

Those look like pretty standard Cuyahoga smallies to me...

16. topwaterdevil

topwaterdevil SMB and Saugeyes.

As far as spinner size for panfish goes, your best bet is Mepps 00's, 0's, and 1's. The 00's especially are good for Bluegill. Unless you're onto some monster panfish, they're probly going to shy away from anything much bigger. With the 2's,3's and 4's your more likely to pick up Bass or Pike. Mepps has a lot of good spinners- if you're looking for a broad selection, order a catalog or look around on mepps.com. Good luck

17. TheSonicMarauder

TheSonicMarauder Yes i slept on the couch

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH yer all wrong!!!! thats a shark!!!!! Run a way run a way! ;)

actually..... with out a doubt... thats a smallie, bronzer, bronze back, toad, Mr. Bad attitude..... no matter what ya call it, its a Smallmouth Bass(Micropterus dolomieu)

:D

18. Thanks for coming through again and providing lots of great info. I'll be getting the assortment pack of mepps spinners for sure.

Considering I just started fishing a month ago I'm pretty excited to see those smallmouth!

Do any of you watch fishing on tv? I started doing that since I got fishing maddness (my partner is already sick of my fishing!). I like The Next Bite and Whata Catch. Any others you recommend I TIVO?

Thanks all. Fish on. Stephanie

19. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

I think the In-Fisherman show with Al Linder and his brothers is the most comprehensive multi species fishing show on the air. Roland Martin, Jimmy Houston and Hank Parker are almost exclusively old school bassers. I don't like their shows though because it seems like they're always trying to sell a product or prasie Jesus. Just tell me about the fish. On the other hand any advice given by Kevin Van Dam is money in the bank.

20. Saltwater Experience (probably the most interesting fishing show on TV, period), Offshore Adventures (The most well-produced fishing show, period), Spanish Fly, Sportfishing Television, Wanna Go Fishing?, Addictive Fishing, Guy Harvey's Portraits from the Deep.

The Saltwater shows are alot more interesting in my opinion.