close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Name some good cat lakes.

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Stampede, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I normally fish eastfork cause it's close to home and normally do good.But now and then you want to try somewhere different.What would you consider a real good catfish lake in ohio.And while were at it,what do you think is the better all around fishing lakes here.

2. I HATE lakes...I would prefer a river over a lake any day of the week...You always catch more and bigger fish in rivers/creeks...

This is my opinion....

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I perfer Rivers/Creeks too, but when I look @ KATFISH's flatheads, I always think about changing my ways!

4. All the Muskingum watershed lakes in the eastern part of the state are very good lakes.

5. catking

catking Banned

First of all it is a Myth that Rivers produce bigger cats ...... River cats can be located easier AT TIMES , but the lakes produce the big boys. Not saying lakes are better , but to say they don't produce big cats like lakes isn't so. Most of the record cats came from lakes............ To answer you Stampede -- Rocky Fork , which is close to you , as well as Paint Creek Lake , are two EXCELLENT cattin lakes . Both have a good population of flatheads ( especially Rocky Fork ) and channel cattin can be fantastic at Paint Creek. As far as best in the state? Muskingum Water Shed Lakes are probably your best bet by far..... THE CATKING !!!

6. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Well I initially thought I should steer clear of this one but I can't resist :rolleyes:

The problem with rivers is that they cannot provide a long term habitat for catfish. By that I mean the water levels-O2 levels-pollution levels do not allow catfish to survive to the old age required for true trophy catfish. Now I know some of you will point out 1 or 2 big fish caught from rivers as examples of the fishery.

My answer is that I prefer fishing where there are a fifty pound cat for every 1000 acres of water. In rivers the best habitat might have a fifty pound cat for every 15000 acres of water.

[​IMG]

Now I figure I am an intelligent guy :rolleyes: so educate me.

[​IMG]

Some lakes provide both excellent habitat and stable conditions that allow fish to reach maturity.

This is a fact. Records show that Ohio catfish grow bigger in lakes.

I spent years probing Ohio rivers for trophy cats and finally learned to fish lakes to be more consistent at catching trophy catfish.

BTW
    Consistency at catching trophy catfish might only be one fish for every 3 nights fished.

[​IMG]

7. As always, very impressive Robbie!

If those pictures don't make a guy want to fish the lakes for trophy fish nothing will!

8. Proof that an opinion can be wrong. :D ;)

9. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I hate lake fishing simply because it takes more time to locate flatheads, for me any way..I know Rivers produce smaller fish usually, but I can read a river..I dont have the paitence to try and catch flatheads from lakes.

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Well now...playing the devil's advocate it's a fact that the world record blue cat came recently from a river. The IN & KY bluecat records came from the Ohio River.
    That is bluecat, not flatheads. So, for big blues...rivers, big flats...lakes (but not paylakes..who get their big fish from rivers *lol*)

11. catking

catking Banned

JEEZE US !!!!! JimmydaCat- WE are talkin real cats, not them over grown channel cats .... :D ........ Whoops , gotta be careful as to not hi-jack this thread ... Sorry Stampede.... ;) ...The point I was trying to make is yes,rivers do hold large cats. In fact , places like the James and Miss. hold very large cats. But there are lakes throughout this great land of ours that have literally thousands of cats over 50 pounds , depending on the lake and size of the lake... I believe flathunter hit it on the money. Alot of people don't want to invest the time in finding the large cats in lakes ... I know Robby has caught many cats over 50 , and a 60 or two.... lake cats...Lake Texhoma and Santee Cooper will hold their own against any river........just to name a couple..... THE CATKING !!!

12. See finally someone thinks the way I do. My brother in law who loves to fish the river for cats thinks the fish get bigger in the river and I've been telling him for years now he was wrong. I like to fish Eastfork I think there are some huge fish in that lake. Of course I have yet to catch one to prove my point but I think they are in there.

13. rockbass

rockbass Banned

you hate lakes cuz they suck or cuz it is easier to trot line the rivers and creeks? :confused: Rod and reel and you might like the lakes more.......you will catch just as many or at least better quality over time in the lakes if you learn them.

14. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

for channel cats ..........i like......... clendening, tappan and atwood lakes. as far as state record fish go.........i dont think fish caught on jugs or doplines & trotlines should count for state record fish. or do they ?? ive always heard rumors that the state record caught from clendening wasnt even caught on rod & reel. in my opinion jugs and lines are a NO BRAINER place the line in a good location bait it and check it every so often. what is the challenge in that ?? fight a 50 lb plus flattie on rod & reel and land it then you are doing something to brag about. oh yeah in our tournament club as far as the biggest channel cats turned in , it really is a toss up. tappan has our biggest channel so far this year just over 10 lbs and last year it was the tuscarawas river just under 10 lbs. so flip a coin on which is actually better for big fish. our largest flathead last year a 52 lber was taken from tappan on ROD & REEL not a jug or line.

15. How did this turn into a thread about jugging and lines? :rolleyes:

16. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Ok Jim :D

My thoughts were contained within the boundaries of Ohio.

I will point out that there is no Ohio record blue cat :D

Jack made a point that is very pertinent. It is much easier to learn to read rivers and locate catfish in them.

To make a point:

How many small bass do you catch compared to trophy bass over 8 pounds?
    This is an illustration of a population dynamics pyramid with the peak or smallest percentage of that population reaching trophy size. the principle remains the same in each watershed.

Catfish in lakes have a broader angle at the top of the pyramid because fish grow older (larger)

This means there are more trophy size fish per acre than in rivers.

17. Trotlines are LEGAL ROCKY!!!
    That means no matter how much it pisses you off people are still gonna use them!!!

And even though for some reason every time I talk about catching a nice fish or even fishing at all you think Im trotlineing....Ive caught my fair share of nice sized Rod and Reel fish in THE RIVERS!

I hate lakes cause they are hard to scout out...And I have never caught anything nice out of them...

18. dip

dip dip

robbie replies to a question not by answering it but by tooting his own horn with the pics we have been subjected to 1000's of times! :D

19. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Sorry guys, I was just poking fun at him, I did not mean to make him mad :(

20. catking

catking Banned

This thread has indeed been hijacked.... :D ... Hey Stampede , read between the lines for your answer ... :D .... As far as Eastfork and large cats, yes , I know of many over 40 pounds caught there. Again, this lake is the same as all large lakes. STRUCTURE , STRUCTURE , STRUCTURE and water that is NOT deep ( less than 15' ) and you will find the flatties @ East fork. Patience is probably the #1 thing that people lack when it comes to lakes. But the pay off is great .......... THE CATKING !!!