close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nafzger Park

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by tvfisherman, May 7, 2004.

1. Just curious if anyone knows any good spots around the park. I drive past it all the time and I always think about trying it but don't know really where to go. Any suggestions would be helpful, and you don't have to give up you're honey holes or anything, just a point in the right direction would be great. Thanks all.

2. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I assume you are talking about Big Walnut creek next to the park. I grew up by Big Walnut just down stream. One of the best kept secrets around. Smallmouth bass, Rockbass, Carp, Catfish, you name it. I generally take my canoe. There is a put in a little further north on Noe-Bixby. The creek is big enough to have some really nice holes that hold plenty of fish. I'll make several trips there a year and lots of those are to catch Carp. What a blast!
    There is some nice water north of 270, which is just north of the put in.
    There is a pond across Refugee Rd. but I don't know who owns that although I seen lots of people fishing there over the years.
    Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed. Give me a shout and I'll show you some of those honeyholes.

3. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I was talking to my brother and he said a friend of his caught a couple of saugeyes in Big Walnut. I don't doubt this since I've heard that people were catching Walleye some years ago. Remember, if you go far enough north you'll end up at Hoover.

4. I've caught saugeye in Big Walnut Creek as far south as the Obetz area. Big Walnut has everything - carp, drum, channels and flathead catfish, lm & sm bass, eyes, gills. :D There are some real nice fish if you know where to look! :p

5. jamesdalej

jamesdalej Dale Jr. fan

Hi ya tvfisherman, I been fishing Big Walnut between Noe Bixby and the Hamilton bridges. I've been fishing it hard since 98. I have my best luck wading. I caught some nice fish myself. Like Fish-N-Fool and gonefishin' said there are lots of species in it. I caught bluegills, crappie, rock bass, smallmouth, largemouth, saugeyes, gar, and 1 striper. As I said I do best while wading. I target the holes. Where the water is calm and deep, I fish those spots and work my way down where it's shallow. The smallmouth LOVE these places. Also look for vegitation. Fish will usually stay near the weeds and look for baitfish. I catch rock bass every where in the river because it has PLENTY of rocks and other structures to hide. I catch the saugeyes in the deepest parts. There is a nice hole under the refugee bridge near Walnut Glen apartments. Also on down the Hamilton bridge and up past the Noe Bixby bridge are deep holes. I live about 1 minute walk away from the creek and the park. I'll be going soon I'll post if I do any good. Hope this helps and good luck!!!