Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NAACP comes to defense of Dorothy Richardson, Euclid woman accused of beating fawn to death
Posted by Trevor Hunnicutt / Plain Dealer Reporter July 31, 2009 18:12PM
Categories: Animals, Breaking News, Crime, Neighborhoods, Real Time News

THOMAS ONDREY THE PLAIN DEALER
Dorothy Richardson appears in court with her attorney Greg Thomas on Thursday. EUCLID — The local NAACP president is rallying to the cause of the elderly Euclid woman charged with beating a fawn to death in her yard.
Dorothy Richardson, 75, was treated differently by Euclid officials because she is black, NAACP President George Forbes said Friday.

"It's a goddamn deer," Forbes said. "It's not a human being, it's a deer. The way this lady is being treated is unfair."

Euclid officials have not been impartial with Richardson, he said.

"It's typical Euclid," Forbes said. "It's what they do in Euclid."

Euclid Mayor Bill Cervenik said city officials are letting the legal process run its course. Cervenik said he was disappointed with Forbes' comments.

"Maybe it's typical Mr. Forbes, but its not typical Euclid," Cervenik said. "I think he knows me better than that."

Richardson pleaded not guilty Thursday to two counts of animal abuse. Richardson's neighbors told animal-control officers that Richardson admitted beating the fawn to death with a shovel on June 15 when it was on her property.

Read the statements neighbors gave to police.

But Forbes said Richardson was a hardworking, churchgoing woman, "everything you would want a citizen to be."

Euclid had to overhaul the way it elects its City Council and school board after a federal judge ruled the previous system, with candidates having to declare for at-large seats, diluted the voting power of blacks in the city. Euclid has a sizable black population but never had a black person on council until the voting system was changed last year.

City officials helped Richardson avoid a media throng by allowing her to turn herself in at a police ministation rather than the city's headquarters. They cited her advanced age as the reason for the variation in policy.

Richardson initially faced only the city's cruelty charge, a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine. Before Richardson was arraigned, Frey added a state cruelty charge, which is a second-degree misdemeanor, considering Richardson's age, he said. The state charge carries a maximum 90 days in jail and $750 fine. The move gave a judge the option of giving Richardson a lesser sentence.

Forbes said that the NAACP would work with Richardson's lawyers on a next move to support her.

Forbes added that the outrage of the killing is overblown: "It's a big rat. He was in her flowerbed. She wasn't in his flowerbed."

I don't have a problem with Forbes coming to the ladies aid as an individual and as a lawyer, but playing the race card by using the NAACP name really waters down what I understand that organization to be about. At least historically. I'd let the old lady go. I can't believe they are turning this into a race issue. Historically there we two standards for treatment of animals - one for wild and a different set for domesticated animals. Is it soon going to be cruelty to animals if I catch a mouse in a mousetrap?

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
i say push it as far as they wnat to take it. if they want to play the race card wich it clearly not about then they should try and make an issue out of it just for the fact it will take up the NAACP's time and money. a criminal act should equal punishment no mater age/sex/race period

·
Banned
5,615 Posts
I still say a deer should be classified as a nusiance species until their numbers are under control . It has gotten way out of hand. I live on a 800 acre farm and see does with tripplets all the time. Its common to see 40 deer or so at sunset , out in the fields, feasting on crops..:mad: ...The groundhogs also eat their share, and you can shoot them at will....;) I thought the coyotes, which we have many, would keep the deer in check, but not anywhere close to it. A deer is a friggin deer. It's only humans that hold it up on a pedestool. I'm not saying go out and hack fawns to death, but if your lively hood depends on it, what to do ? People are the cause of the deer populations being what they are now...period. Not nature............. THE CATKING !!!

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
i can come down this fall and take care of soem of those for you

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I admit I do not know the regs but I thought if any animal destroys your property or threatens your life or the life of your livestock you, as the property owner, have the legal right to take care of the problem.
I know I need to seek legal counsel on this due to my ignorance on the subject.
Anybody out there with the know how?
By the way I think the authorities, and the neighbors, and so called animal lovers, are taking this way too far.
And lastly George will be George.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
I still say a deer should be classified as a nusiance species until their numbers are under control . It has gotten way out of hand. I live on a 800 acre farm and see does with tripplets all the time. Its common to see 40 deer or so at sunset , out in the fields, feasting on crops..:mad: ...The groundhogs also eat their share, and you can shoot them at will....;) I thought the coyotes, which we have many, would keep the deer in check, but not anywhere close to it. A deer is a friggin deer. It's only humans that hold it up on a pedestool. I'm not saying go out and hack fawns to death, but if your lively hood depends on it, what to do ? People are the cause of the deer populations being what they are now...period. Not nature............. THE CATKING !!!
Just curious, do you allow hunting on your property? The farmers up here have the same problem but most do not allow hunting on their property.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Toxic, you beat me to the trigger, (no pun intended). It doesn't matter if the state allows a hunter to kill 30 deer a year, if he can't get permission to hunt it, it doesn't matter. In addition to that many farmers who hunt have started playing the game of getting damage permits on ground no one else can hunt, and turning it into their own private shooting gallery.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
Toxic, you beat me to the trigger, (no pun intended). It doesn't matter if the state allows a hunter to kill 30 deer a year, if he can't get permission to hunt it, it doesn't matter. In addition to that many farmers who hunt have started playing the game of getting damage permits on ground no one else can hunt, and turning it into their own private shooting gallery.
LOL, you said what I wanted to say.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I remember reading about a case in Florida
where a woman had her dog tied up in the
back yard. An alligator came out of a pond
and was attacking the family pet. The lady
went and got her husbands shotgun and dis-
patched the gator.

When it was all said and done the woman was
charged with several counts,
1. Your not allowed to tie your dog up unattended.
2. Discharging a firearm within city limits.
3. Not having a hunting license or the proper permits.
4. Hunting gators out of season.

It all sounds crazy but the law is the law.

I would hate to be a kid caught in her garden
or walking through her yard (a shovel would really smart).

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
I admit I do not know the regs but I thought if any animal destroys your property or threatens your life or the life of your livestock you, as the property owner, have the legal right to take care of the problem.
I know I need to seek legal counsel on this due to my ignorance on the subject.
Anybody out there with the know how?
By the way I think the authorities, and the neighbors, and so called animal lovers, are taking this way too far.
And lastly George will be George.
which is fin ebut there are permits required for such athing and useing a shovel is not exactly a humane effective way of taking care of the problem

·
Registered
564 Posts

This is because the Whitetail deer is a cash cow to the crooked ODNR.
The ODNR keeps raising the Tags but want to make it more difficult for hunters to get deer as in you have to check in your deer before you can get your second deer, in other states if you have 2 deer tags and 2 deer walk up, you can shoot them both and be done but noooo, not in Ohio
In the case of the Lady killing the Deer, she is no better than anyone else and if I shoot a deer out of season they would hang me so they need to treat her the same way, as a poacher.

·
If your gonna be a bear..
1,188 Posts
This is because the Whitetail deer is a cash cow to the crooked ODNR.
The ODNR keeps raising the Tags but want to make it more difficult for hunters to get deer as in you have to check in your deer before you can get your second deer, in other states if you have 2 deer tags and 2 deer walk up, you can shoot them both and be done but noooo, not in Ohio
In the case of the Lady killing the Deer, she is no better than anyone else and if I shoot a deer out of season they would hang me so they need to treat her the same way, as a poacher.

Deer tags have gone up 1 time in the last 10 years. If you buy two or more tags and choose to shoot more than one deer on the same day all you need to do is have the temporary tag filled out and on the first deer you have killed before you can shoot the second.

One problem with a high deer kill in this state is deer react to thier surroundings. As long as there is an abundance of food water and shelter and the carrying capacity is not near or at the limit a doe will produce a minumum of 2 fawns. Now will she do this 100% of the time? No. As long as she is healthy, not under stress from a shortage of food or water or disease she is capable of having 2, 3 even 4 fawns. So a high deer kill with plenty of space, cover, food and water may lower the states deer herd for that year but the next year there is a good chance that there will be even more deer in the state.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well why can't you shoot 2 deer if they are standing together? why does the State require you to "Tag" 1 deer before you can shoot another?
Because the State doesn't want to make it easier to shoot their money machine and these deer need knocked down and we shoot them on Land owners tags.
I know around here the farmers beg people to shoot all the deer and turkeys they see but we all know we can't do that but the farmers don't.
All I know is the Whitetail deer is a cash cow for the DNR and the local business

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
Well why can't you shoot 2 deer if they are standing together? why does the State require you to "Tag" 1 deer before you can shoot another?
They want you to at least identify the deer you shot before you harvest another. Case in point, the doe you shot turns out to be a small but legal buck and if you then shot that second deer before the first one was tagged. And it is a buck, your busted! That is why you cannot shot two deer at once.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
All I know is the Whitetail deer is a cash cow for the DNR and the local business
without money going to the dnr,we probably wouldn't be bothered by all those pesky deer(or other critters).and we wouldn't be bothered by all those pesky local businesses trying to take our hard earned dollars for silly things like hunting and fishing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Catking, Do you mind if I give you a call on the phone?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Catking, I would be more then happy to help you with your deer problem. As others have stated on here. I'll go another step farther and volunteer to help you do some work on your property etc if needed. I am sure a couple of my friends would be more then willing to do the same. If this sounds of interest to you, PM me.

Mike

http://www.trophyoutdooradventures.com

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.